Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get both pistons out of the back brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get both pistons out of the back brake?

Hi guys,

Rebuilding a 1980 GSX750 and I have completed the full caliper rebuild of the front brakes, but on the back there are two pistons and I have one side out but that makes it so that the other side cant get any pressure with the air compressor to push that piston out. I tried to put a piece of rubber between the two pieces to block the flow of air, but I get nothing. Any suggestions?

I have the rebuild kit for the back, but I can't really proceed until that darn piston is out of there.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pnedac

Put the piston back in and put some thin pieces of wood in between the two pistons, both pistons pushed all the way back. Pump the caliper a bit and remove one piece of wood. Now push on the side that came out easily so that the stuck one wants to move as you pump the caliper. Repeat, working both pistons out a bit at a time.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Or you could undo the bolts and split it in two halfs and apply the air direct to the passage.

Theres a small seal in there you will need a new one.

Comment

Split mine in half, pressed it down so that the little seal part was pressed on a flat rubber slab, then hit it with air compressor. It took multiple attempts and had to load the compressor up really high, until the piston finally gave way.

The piston will probably start to move, once you load it with air. But sometimes it stops suddenly, this is where you need to keep holding the air pressure in there, wait a few seconds, and it should start to move again. If it doesn't move again, you need More air pressure in the tank, or a better compressor, lol.
        (you might also be leaking out of the caliper, so double check, I had to press down hard to fight the air trying to escape threw the tiny seal. You gotta get rough with her, lol)

Comment

Wear safety goggles for all this, don't be careless.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

If the one piston doesnt come out, once you take out the 2 big bolts that hold the halves together, you cna again apply air to the back half where the rubber oring seals the oil passage between the 2 halves. Close the bleeder and stick the air hose against the hole...done.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hadnt read the entire posts...I see the split and air has well been covered...carry on.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Defeat

All the effort was for not. I lost the epic battle. I had full contact and full air pump going into that bad boy and it did not budge one stinking mm. It is not overly surprising with the amount of grime and rust that is on the outside and based on what I've seen on the other calipers, but it sucks not being able to claim victory. On a good note I was able to order a good used one on eBay for pretty cheap with new pads.

Thank you for all the input. I learn a lot each and every time from you guys and I appreciate it.

Happy Turkey day!

Pnedac

Comment

Working...
                X