looking for advice on fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for advice on fork oil

i have a gs1100g i replaced.my fork seals the other day. and apperently my local shop wants to chrage almost 30 dollar for oil i felt that was to high and considering im trying to get the bike out before winter hits. i wasnt sure if there was an alternatibe oil that is acceptable. im a bigger boy and want a little stiffer ride than stock, any suggestions are appreciated.

Talk to Flyboy or Steve, I think they would be the best ones to help you.

Here is a thread of Flyboy's I saved at the start of his fork rebuild.
    Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

Shouldn't take more than a quart of 15w fork oil.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

A quart of fork oil is $10-$15 at most stores. What kind of oil are they using?

Overcharging is one of the reasons that most of us do our own work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Fork oil

I recently replaced my fork seals and of course never having done it before installed them upside down!!

With regards to fork oil my manual states a 50:50 ratio of 10w30 motor oil and transmission fluid it what to use.

I can lookup the amount of fork oil for each tube if you give me your bike model, year, etc.

I have a manual on cd which I will at some point FTP up to a folder for others to download...

It covers gs750, gs750e gs750es from 1976 to1983.

Here's the link ftp:/coley.ca if you're interested.

Here's the log on info:

un: suzuki pw: gs750

Comment

im not exactly sure what type of fork oil it is i was shocked when i asked for a quart i new it was gonna be a little bit but 30$ a quart ive heard some ppl use ford atf is that ok to use because the closet shop to me is almost an hour and really dont want to drive if theres an alternative oil

Comment

Hi,

In the old days (well, I guess some people still do) they used to mix half and half ATF and regular 30wt motor oil. But real fork oil is best.

From my little website, these are the manuals Mr. rampimpin needs:

GS1100G/GL/GK Service Manual (86MB)
              GS110
              0G/GL/GK/GD/GLD/GKD/GKE Service Manual (40MB)

Right-click and "Save as..." and be patient as the PDF files can take a while to download depending on your connection speed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thank you mr. basscliff i will download it and maybe i can find some diffwrnet place that sells fork oil i have to dome running today anyway

Comment

Amazon has fork oil anywhere from $4 to $25.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Take your pick...

I used the Suzuki brand for $2.96 a qt. 8oz in each fork
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                    X