Fork Spring Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azr View Post
    Well according to the calculations I'll be starting with 25 lbs/inch and 56 lbs/inch when compressed, the compressed rate could be closer to 50 lbs/inch as it was a bit hard to get an exact measurement of the spring compressed. All very interesting. Although as Dan mentioned it appears I cut the wrong end, I cut the tight wound end instead of the loose end, I read and read on this subject yet still cut the wrong end, does that make me dyslectic or just stupid?? Anyways I'm glad I'm doing this as it's helping to motivate me to get her up and running.
    A ton of people have done it the way you did it (me included on a couple of bikes). It's not "wrong" I just wanted you to understand it so you could better figure out what to do.
    What you have done is akin to adding additional preload (i.e. you have changed the "start" point but not the final spring rate). It's not precisely the same & I'd need a bunch of graphs to explain it properly (& you'd be bored to tears!)

I also cut off the tightly wound end on my 1100 fork springs as I didn't want a progressive spring but as explained earlier i basically cut those springs in half anyway. (Danger here is that I might find spring fatigue sets in very quickly if I'm unlucky (not many coils left to share the work) but I have seen plenty of bikes (incl my KLR) that use springs that are as short or shorter than 14").

To get the compressed spring length you get a very accurate spring wire dia & multiply it by the number of coils in the spring, no need to actually measure it. I would be very surprised if you have managed to get 56lb/in from a stock GS spring.

Last edited by salty_monk; 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So when they say compressed length they mean as if there were no spaces between any of the coils at all? and when they are asking for the free length it is the length of the spring only, not with spacers, right? I appreciate all this, like I said it's all very interesting. Punching in 47 coils with a wire diameter of 0.155 and an outside diameter of 1.05 with a free length of 13 1/2 inches means I will have a compressed length of 7.29...so....24 lbs/inch spring rate with a pressure at compressed length of 150 lbs, think I wrote it down wrong the first time. I did the same calculation for a stock spring from a 79 850 (which I think is close to the 1000G) and came up with 18.87 lbs/inch and 137.75 lbs at compressed length. So it's an improvement for sure but not what Sonic or Progressive would be.
      Last edited by azr; 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You got it... Progressive is 35lb moving to 50lb when the coils bind (to calculate that you just alter the number of active coils - will be a smaller number).
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Full Extension

At the end of the day, you still need to have about an Inch or so, of travel available, in the fork tubes, while Loaded & Riding.
          If you hit a Dip in Road, while in a turn, at speed, (I've seen you ride!), the front wheel needs to Extend and stay on the road.
          Don't make it too stiff or a rough road (Goat Trails) will beat ya up.
          For Touring I've actually backed off on everything, easy rebound, soft springs (low air pressure).

Comment

You should have about 2.5 to 3 inches of travel, actually.

Static sag should be set at 2/3 to 3/4 total travel. Total travel on a GS (and most streetbikes) is just over 4 inches. (dual-sports are a bit different -- V-Stroms have about 6 inches of travel, KLR650s about 10 inches.)

Therefore, 1 to 1.5 inches static sag is about right for a GS. when you're traveling down a level smooth road, that's where the suspension should sit.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well the engine is still sitting waiting to go back in so it might be a bit before I post of the end results but I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking I may not ride this bike the same as the 78 but then again....
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
              X