Tires-650g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires-650g

I have actually been getting to work on my bike this past couple of weeks and after inspecting the rear tire, it definitely needs to be replaced. However, I do not have the money at the moment (well, I do but trying to stay on budget ). I am looking for a good, but relatively inexpensive tires for the next few months, or longer for when I am testing, fiddling, and doing everything else before working on the appearance of it. If anyone has a specific tire to look at, feel free to chime in. I am also looking at buying the wheel from this CL post for $45. It looks to be in MUCH better condition than my current rear tire and I would not mind having a spare.

Also, what would be the BEST size for tires (I may have done the conversion wrong or may just be terrible at math)? Here are my specifications I am using when searching (from the Pirelli Sport Demon):
    Front: 110/90V-18
    Rear: 120/90V-18

Tires I am looking at: Avons, Pirelli, and Bridgestone.

I run Avon AM26's on my 650g. I got about 6800 miles on the rear9 130/90-17) before I had to replace it and the front (100/90-19) I expect the front to last until I replace the rear again. I wouldn't recomend using a 130/80-17 in the rear as I had problems using the side stand with the previous set of tires and I think the lower profile tire made the bike sit lower and the side stand harder to use.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

What is your budget?

You can get a set of Shinko 230 Tour Masters from Motorcycle Superstore for about $130 for the pair.

Proper sizes would be 100/90-19 on the front and 120/90-17 on the rear, but the 230 is only available in a 130/90-17.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        What is your budget?

You can get a set of Shinko 230 Tour Masters from Motorcycle Superstore for about $130 for the pair.

Proper sizes would be 100/90-19 on the front and 120/90-17 on the rear, but the 230 is only available in a 130/90-17.

And Steve comes through again!
        PS Steve, thanks a million for those carb jets

My budget, for just the tires, is about $150(not too much I know, but I do not need them for long until I get everything going again) But, I don't trust myself mounting the tires for now (I have never done it, i know its not too hard, but I would rather watch someone do it first or have a friendly GSer help) so I may get them mounted at my local cycle shop so the less expensive the better.

Hmmm... Would 130 be pushing it for the rim size? I think those tires are perfect for my needs, and a great buy. I just read bwringer's torture test as well, and they seem like they will exceed my expectations

Comment

I went with the Shinko 712's, 100-90/19 front, 130-90/17 rear, for ~$115 shipped.

They won't be seeing the road anytime soon, so I can't say how good they are yet.
          1983 GS650G
          Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

They are basically the step below the Shinko 230s tire wise if I remember correctly. I think I'll stick with 100 up front 130 back and see how it goes. I will of course need to try to mount them...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead View Post
              They are basically the step below the Shinko 230s tire wise if I remember correctly. I think I'll stick with 100 up front 130 back and see how it goes. I will of course need to try to mount them...
              You won't go wrong with a set of Shinko 712 tires for around $100 shipped from MotorcycleSuperstore. I've used both the 230 and 712 tires with no issues. You won't need a V rated tire for that 650G anyway if on a tight budget.
              Plenty of threads on this site to read and tackle mounting your own tires properly.

Comment

I actually realized today that i have metzler 110 front and 130s rear... Guess I should look more often and it would answer my problems

Comment

Working...
                X