Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where there any GS1100 shaft drive variants that came with 17" rear rim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where there any GS1100 shaft drive variants that came with 17" rear rim?

My search for a 17" rear wheel for the GK is going well. Been offered an 850 wheel locally which is awesome.
    General consensus is that will work but i may needed spacers, can anyone confirm that? Anyone else gone down this road before? 16" rear to 17".....

So I'm now trying to find out if any of the 1100G variants came with a 17" wheel. My logic being that a wheel from an 1100 might be a direct swap. Any input on that will be super appreciated!
    Thanks

All of the 1100G came with a 17" wheel.

The 1100GL and the 1100GK came with a 16" wheel.

Not sure if the 17" wheels are the same width as the 16s, though.

RIM width, that is. I think the 17" wheels are 2.15 wide, the 16" wheels are 2.50.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I'll be a wealth of 1100 rear wheel conversion info after this game!
      So your input poses more questions -

Will a narrower rim width cause handling issues? Hmmmm?

And does anyone know what the rim width of the 850 rear wheel is?

And does anyone have 17" rim from an 1100 they need to get rid of?

Thanks in advance

Edit: FY'allI here's where I'm headed with this game. I've used these tyres a lot in the past and really like them, they can do it all - tour, scratch and cope extremely well on bad or no roads, plus they look awesome and I want to fit a set on the GK, but I know squat about tire sizing. Can any one help me work this out? The sizes available on the link above show they make these tires for 17" or 18" rims but the width information means nothing to me! Why don't they just give rim width and diameter in the same format! Aaaargh! Help! Maybe I'm heading up a blind alley here.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

They make these sizes for 17" rims
        I need to work out if any of the available GS 17" rims will take these tyres. So how does 2.15 or 2.5 rim width translate to these available sizes?

120/90 - 17 M/C 64S TT M+S
        130/80 - 17 M/C 65S TT M+S
        130/80 - 17 M/C 65T TL M+S
        5.10 - 17 M/C 67S TT M+S
        140/80 -17 M/C 69Q TL M+S
        150/70 B 17 M/C 69Q TL M+S
        180/55 B 17 M/C 73Q TL M+S

Comment

From that list, I would probably go with the 5.10.

By the way, I just checked a parts fiche for an 850, the 17" rear wheel is also 2.50 wide.

We generally recommend no more than a 130/90 tire on the 2.50 rim, the 5.1 calculates to 129.54mm.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            From that list, I would probably go with the 5.10.

By the way, I just checked a parts fiche for an 850, the 17" rear wheel is also 2.50 wide.

We generally recommend no more than a 130/90 tire on the 2.50 rim, the 5.1 calculates to 129.54mm.

Thanks again for your help.
            It's starting to become clear. So for example a '130' is the rim width in mm, '90' is a percentage of the previous number and is the tire depth again in mm. Then we have the rim diameter which for some some reason is always in inches. Then in this case M/C = Motorcycle. Then load rating 67S (refer to load charts), Then TT = Tubed Type or TL = Tubeless. And finally tread type. Phew, my brain hurts

So now I'm confused about the 5.1? Does that mean it's 5.1in both directions? That would make the tire 129mm tall?

Comment

Originally posted by GelandeStrasse View Post
              Thanks again for your help.
              It's starting to become clear. So for example a '130' is the rim width in mm, '90' is a percentage of the previous number and is the tire depth again in mm. Then we have the rim diameter which for some some reason is always in inches. Then in this case M/C = Motorcycle. Then load rating 67S (refer to load charts), Then TT = Tubed Type or TL = Tubeless. And finally tread type. Phew, my brain hurts

So now I'm confused about the 5.1? Does that mean it's 5.1in both directions? That would make the tire 129mm tall?
              No, sir, not quite right.

The 130 is the section width of the tire (across the widest point of the sidewalls).
              The 90 is the aspect ratio. That would mean that the height (from where the bead seats on the rim to the top of the tread) is 90% of the width (in this case, 130mm).
              Yes, the rim diameter is (almost) always in inches. There were some Mustangs several years ago that had an oddball metric designation for the tires.

The rest of it you have just fine.

The 5.10 was an earlier design spec for tires. The original tire spec was 4.50H17, which translated to 4.50 inches wide (aspect ratio was not specified, but was about 100%), had a speed rating of H (sustained use at 135 mph) and a 17" diameter rim. The 5.10 tire would be one size up from the 4.50, and yes, it will likely be just about as tall as it is wide.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Fantastic, i really do appreciate the help!
                Now i know accurately what i need source, awesome. . . . Thanks!

Comment

I also want a 17" for my '82 shafty?

GelandeStrasse

were you able to find a direct swap? If so, what years and models can I look at for finding a 17" rim?

Comment

I'll have to get back to you on that. I did get a direct swap 17", I think it's from a similar year 1000 but not certain. I'll ask the guy who sold it to me.

Comment

Hello, Did you ever find a 17" direct swap or something close to being a direct swap, maybe a few spacer mods? I am wanting to do the same with my 82 gs1100glz. I want to find a 17" or 18" rear tire.

Comment

Hi. Yes i did get a 17" rim, it was a direct swap and no spacers were needed. Literally direct swap. I think (bit hazy as it was so long ago now) it was maybe a quarter inch narrower(?) but the tyres i wanted fitted just fine. The wheel was from an 850 shaft drive i think. Hope that helps
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I found a 17' rim with the exact spoke pattern as the 16" rim on my 1982 GS1100GLZ. The 17" version was from a 1982 GS850G. I wanted the 17" rim so I could get more options for dual sport tires for the 1982 GS1100GLZ modification project that I have in mind.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X