Tire aspect ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire aspect ratio

I'm shopping for new tires and would like to get some decent tires. it's been difficult to find tires in the 90/90 and 120/90 sizes, but there are lots of tires with the 80 aspect ratio. I've found a pair of Pirelli tires in the right width/rim size but in the 80% aspect ratio. anybody think that would be a problem? I'd like to buy pirelli or comparable tires.

thanks

Looking for traction/handling? Long mileage? Cheap price?

There are several great tires with modern rubber and tread design in 90/90 and 120/90, even some Pirellis.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm looking for good all round wet/dry traction and longevity. i've found some tires in those sizes, but not many. The old tires on the bike are 3.50H-19 and 4.60H-16, but the front tire has some clearance issues on the front fender. I'd like to return to the factory 90/90-19 and 120/90-16 but i'm having trouble finding them. That's why I was thinking about compromising with the lower aspect ratio. I'm willing to tolerate a slightly different ride; I don't plan on thrashing this bike around. If there's anybody with experience putting a pair of new tires on a GS450L, I'd appreciate some insight.

thanks

Comment

I had a GSX400L, slightly different engine, same frame as your gs450.
        mine was 100/90-19 upfront though.

You are asking for two very difficult and often opposite characteristics from your tires. Generally long lasting tires are not very sticky/not great traction. For any given proce point, there will always be a trade off between the two, although both longevity and traction will improve as you spend more money (again, generally).

save money - chengshin HiMax - not really much good until they are warm, then they are ok on a dry day

moderate money - Battlax BT-45 - note you would have a 3.25-19 fron and a 130/90-16 or a 120/80-16 rear - for exact size, try the L303 and G534

Also look at Bridgestone S11 - exact size front, although you will be offsize on the rear - I have these on my CM 400 now, and they are pretty decent, even when cold

Lots of money - Check out Mechelin, Avon, Metzeler or pirelli. I have never really had the money to spend on these tires.

Comment

would it be bad to mix and match? i can find a pirelli in the right size up front for 75 bucks and a kenda out back for about the same. thanks

Comment

Some matches are ok, others are terrible. Kenda's are pretty much terrible anyway.

Comment

i can get a Pirelli MT66 in the correct size for the front, and a Pirelli MT75 in 120/80-16 for the rear. my question is do you think this is a major factor? front is fine, but will the 10% in the rear be that big of an issue. i want to avoid clearance issues. once they're mounted, i'm kind of in the hole for whatever i buy.

Comment

I second the note on kenda tires - they are truely terrible. you might as well ride on just the rims

It isn't advised to mix and match, but then all tires sets are little more than the manufacture's guess at what your bike will need from a set and what balance is best.

If you are certain you really want pirelli tires, I do not see why not. The shorter tire wall will make the tire stiffer, and it will not conform as well to bumps or in corners. It will make the bike a little more responsive and stable at high lean angles. Just be sure the loss of height won't leave you with your pegs and pipes dragging prematurely in the corners.

Comment

Doesn't Pirelli make Sport Demons in your size?

I know they make it in 130/90-16.
                  Last edited by tkent02; 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Just be sure the loss of height won't leave you with your pegs and pipes dragging prematurely in the corners.
                    If i'm not mistaken, a 10% decrease in sidewall means my axle will be 12mm closer to the pavement. I'm not too worried about this. If necessary, i'll cut a cheeseburger or 2 out of the diet to lighten the load. God know's i could use a few miles on a treadmill.

thanks so much for the feedback fellas.

mike

Comment

Working...
                    X