Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000 front end conversion/upgrade options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 front end conversion/upgrade options?

So there is a ton of info on conversions for the Kat and 1100, but what are the best options for the 8 valve's? Is anything bolt on? I tried to do a search but kept getting "fatal error" messages. I have this pic and seem to recall someone saying it was some mid 2000's katana front end but not sure.

I cant answer your question, but have to comment that I like the custom black and white "skunk" front fender on that bike !
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

i have the 1100 katana forks on my GS1000 but i wouldn't really call it an upgrade
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am working on trying to fit a Bandit front end on my 78 1000. As far as I can tell I am going to have to convert to tapered bearings and change the stem in the triple tree as the bearings are spaced further apart on the stock bandit stem. These are 41mm fork tubes, with twin piston Tokiko brakes. I thought I could use the triple tree from a GK but it is wider than the Bandit triple so the wheel and brakes won't line up properly. I will update later when I get it figured out
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The absolute easiest conversion is to use GSXR 1100 K ( 1989) triple trees combined with Bandit Ph 1 stanchions.
          This allows you to use a GSXR 1100 front wheel complete with it's disks and calipers.
          It's 100% plug and play except that you will have to add new lock stops to the steering.
          It has the tremendous advantage of keeping your ground clearance for the twisties
          If you used a complete GSXR front end you would be loosing 30 mm clearance...
          I believe the GS 1000 on the picture has a complete Bandit Ph2 front end.
          The only issue is that you will have to change the steering stem!
          Here's an example on my 1100 Kat but It will be exactly the same on an 8 valve GS

Last edited by John Kat; 12-28-2012, 05:49 AM. Reason: more info
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Awsome, just a couple of questions.

What is a Bandit "ph1"? Is it a generation thing? What are the year ranges? Which displacement Bandit?

What about speedometer? When you say stanchions you mean the fork/tube assembly?

Are you saying if you go with the Bandit "ph2" then you remove the steering stem and press in the GS1000 steering stem?

Thanks,
            Daryl
            Last edited by Fjbj40; 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM.
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
              Awsome, just a couple of questions.

What is a Bandit "ph1"? Is it a generation thing? What are the year ranges?

What about speedometer? When you say stanchions you mean the fork/tube assembly?

Are you saying if you go with the Bandit "ph2" then you remove the steering stem and press in the GS1000 steering stem?

Thanks,
              Daryl
              Bandit Phase 1 refers to the air cooled Bandits.
              I believe they ended in year 2000?
              The speedometer needs to be attached one way or the other to the top yoke.
              No need to worry about the speed accuracy as long as the speedo drive corresponds to the front wheel chosen
              Yes the stanchions(?) are meant to be the fork tubes.
              Yes, I believe you need to press in the GS 1000 steering stem if you use Bandit Ph 2 triple trees ?
              Beware, I haven't done it myself!
              Last edited by John Kat; 12-28-2012, 10:48 AM.
              sigpicJohn Kat
              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

I went with a complete 92 Katana front end, bolted right on. Needed new steering stops

Still working on mounting the GS tach and the Katana speedo

The bandit front end has the advantage of using the tubular handlebar mount rather than the individual bars the Katana has

The corresponding rear wheel (Katana/Bandit) in a GS 1100 swingarm, some spacers, a chain conversion kit and you may be ready to go. I'm going to trim 8 mm off the sprocket carrier and use less offset at the front to maintain clearance to the shock and frame from the chain
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  The corresponding rear wheel (Katana/Bandit) in a GS 1100 swingarm, some spacers, a chain conversion kit and you may be ready to go. I'm going to trim 8 mm off the sprocket carrier and use less offset at the front to maintain clearance to the shock and frame from the chain
                  I used a GSXR 1100 4.5" rear wheel and a 13 mm offset sprocket.
                  This was possible because I used aftermarket shocks that cleared the chain
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    I went with a complete 92 Katana front end, bolted right on. Needed new steering stops

Still working on mounting the GS tach and the Katana speedo

The bandit front end has the advantage of using the tubular handlebar mount rather than the individual bars the Katana has

Just get a GS500 carrier, I have already done this set up it worked out great, went with 530 chain and I believe a 2mm washer behind the front sprocket to move it over and was still able to get a full nut on the sproket shaft. I was then able to run a 160 rear tire in the 1100 swinger. I also used the caliper for the Bandit rear wheel , and just made a custom brake stay rod.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                      Just get a GS500 carrier, I have already done this set up it worked out great, went with 530 chain and I believe a 2mm washer behind the front sprocket to move it over and was still able to get a full nut on the sproket shaft. I was then able to run a 160 rear tire in the 1100 swinger. I also used the caliper for the Bandit rear wheel , and just made a custom brake stay rod.
                      Good input
                      It must be way cheaper than buying a 13 mm offset sprocket
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

There is some excellent info here, I like the 89 gsxr 1100 frontend set up that John has on the Kat. I prefer the look of the USD forks but actually think this might make more sense.

Great thread Russ!

Comment

Just thought I'd chime in here. All Balls Racing has a great cross-reference for neck bearings. It won't tell you what fits what, but it does tell you what has the same neck bearings. You still have to consider stem length and fork stops, etc.

All Balls Racing Bearing and Seals packages all the needed parts to help with rebuilding your ATV, Dirt Bike, Street Bike, V-Twin,Snowmobile, All Balls manufactures 133 swing arm kits to cover more models than anyone, from 1973 to current,

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                            Just thought I'd chime in here. All Balls Racing has a great cross-reference for neck bearings. It won't tell you what fits what, but it does tell you what has the same neck bearings. You still have to consider stem length and fork stops, etc.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
                            there is a massive chart in Basscliffs web site showing head bearing sizes in mm, and what bike the bearings will fit.

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              There is some excellent info here, I like the 89 gsxr 1100 frontend set up that John has on the Kat. I prefer the look of the USD forks but actually think this might make more sense.

Great thread Russ!
                              I take that as a compliment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
                              Yes, this is excellent but...we have no idea of the lengths of the fork tubes that are available
                              My research so far has given:

Model/Tube diameter/Length/RSU/Wheel diameter

GS 1000/37mm/775mm/RSU/19"
                              GSX 1100 Kat/37mm/800/RSU/19"
                              GSXR 86to88/41mm/767mm/RSU/18"
                              GSXR 89/43mm/745mm/RSU/17"
                              Bandit 96to02/43mm/775mm/RSU/17"

Only the two latter ones are equipped with a cartridge.
                              FYI, I've tested all the configurations above and the cartridge type fork really makes a difference
                              That's where RaceTech intervened to improve the non-cartridge type forks for sure?
                              I'm currently investigating another alternative that would be long enough, with a cartridge and...adjustable
                              Top secret for the moment!
                              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X