83 GS1100E new OEM caliper seals very tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100E new OEM caliper seals very tight

Just rebuilding the front calipers with new OEM seals and once the piston is installed it can just barely be moved in an out by hand, it is very stiff, is this normal? Cleaned and polished the piston and hardly made any difference.
    I have rebuild a set of six pot GSXR calipers before and they seemed to move in and out a lot easier. I'm afraid if I leave them like this the brakes will drag.

Also, the pads got soaked in fork oil from a fork seal leak, can they be cleaned, or do they have to be replaced?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2012, 06:24 PM.

make sure the grooves in the calipers that the seal seats in are SPOTLESS, free from corrosion and crud.
    the pads are U/S, replace them.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That's normal. I always like to give the pistons a little twist - 1/4 turn one way and 1/4 turn back - just to check everything is seated nicely.

Toss the pads - it's just not worth it.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

New pads it is then. One more thing, should I install the dust seal first, or is possible to install it once piston is in? Piston doesn't seem to want to go in if dust seal is installed first.

Comment

try fitting the dust seal over the piston before you push the piston into the caliper, then once in,pop the dust seal into place properly. a little brake fluid for lubrication helps
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X