looks like a split rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like a split rear tire

tire was ok looking before my ride over mount glorious.bike is a gs1100g, it seems to be all the way down to the steel, just off center of the tire and it wanders around a bit, a few pics, old tire was a metzeler lazer tec 130/90 17, nothing open now or tomorrow, dooo. i now know what happens when it gets over 6.5 on the taco.
    that cant be a grove in read of tire ?.

That tire looks like the one Fred Flintstone threw away.

What's the date code, or is it too old to have a date code?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      That tire looks like the one Fred Flintstone threw away.

What's the date code, or is it too old to have a date code?
      sure add had "near new tires", when i got bike. will have to look at date, the one on the tire , front one i replaced was 9 yrs old, tire looked ok before i took it for the ride, just glad i did not retrace my steps back over the mountains, i thought the back was wiggling around a bit much

Comment

holy crap!

Comment

Not safe to ride on, period.
          I'd be counting my blessings if I discovered that after riding it.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by clancey g View Post
            sure add had "near new tires", when i got bike. will have to look at date, the one on the tire , front one i replaced was 9 yrs old, tire looked ok before i took it for the ride, just glad i did not retrace my steps back over the mountains, i thought the back was wiggling around a bit much
            "Never trust anything the previous owner tells you" is one of my rules to live by. That tire is ancient.

Glad you lived through this experience. The good news is that you won't believe how wonderful new tires will feel!
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

advice i will take to heart, im aware how lucky i was, 2 days till shop is open to replace it, probilly a metzeler laser tec to match the new one on the front would be best ?.

Comment

Hmmm

IS it just me or does that tire look like something dragged on it causing that tear? I'd look around the underside of the bike while changing that thing.

Comment

I believe it is a manufacturing seam.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                    IS it just me or does that tire look like something dragged on it causing that tear? I'd look around the underside of the bike while changing that thing.
                    nothing dragging onto the tire did find what looks like the steel belt is poking out of the center of tire on other side, though split goes around the whole tire, off center and its not very straight, front tire had that liquid stop leak in it when i bought bike, that made a mess, will find out on wed if same on rear. there is shiny fine steel threads poking out of the center of the tread, will be interesting to see the damage.

Comment

I had a small rock get stuck between my tire and front fender, it was loud and noticeable instantly.
                      I pulled over right away to check it out and the slight groove it left in my tire was perfectly straight all the way around, and wasn't very deep.
                      The rock was only stuck for a 1/2 a kilometer but it took several hundred more kms of riding to wear the tire back to normal again.
                      Also mine looked like a smooth indent, yours looks like a jagged slash.
                      Since we know someone didn't sit there and cut it like that on purpose, I'm going to vote for old age/manufacturing defect.

Glad you made it home upright and in one piece!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                        I had a small rock get stuck between my tire and front fender, it was loud and noticeable instantly.
                        I pulled over right away to check it out and the slight groove it left in my tire was perfectly straight all the way around, and wasn't very deep.
                        The rock was only stuck for a 1/2 a kilometer but it took several hundred more kms of riding to wear the tire back to normal again.
                        Also mine looked like a smooth indent, yours looks like a jagged slash.
                        Since we know someone didn't sit there and cut it like that on purpose, I'm going to vote for old age/manufacturing defect.

Glad you made it home upright and in one piece!!
                        thanks, ok code's F329 and 0507 E3 75R 0051611

Comment

Originally posted by clancey g View Post
                          advice i will take to heart, im aware how lucky i was, 2 days till shop is open to replace it, probilly a metzeler laser tec to match the new one on the front would be best ?.
                          Nah, there are much better tires nowadays than the Metzelers.

I highly recommend the Avon AM26 RoadRider.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Nah, there are much better tires nowadays than the Metzelers.

I highly recommend the Avon AM26 RoadRider.
                            ok thanks ill have a look at them, bits ive been pulling out from tire are these, an hard to pull out pardon the art work on the pinky
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I picked up a nail last summer. I used one of those plugs kits and plugged the tire. I rode on it for about a week then bought a new tire. When I got the old plugged tire off, I wanted to see what kind of integraty that plug had. I pulled the plug out with my fingers! Moral of the storie,if you must plug a motorcycle tire just do it to get home.I would not trust a plugged tire...
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X