Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850GL tire size sanity check

Hello,

So I'm a couple months off from purchasing new tires, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row. (And by ducks I mean budget.) I'm new to motorcycle tires but I've been doing some research and would like some confirmation that I'm not about to do something dumb. (Which is not to say that I won't anyway...)

At first, I was only going to replace the front tire. The rear tire is a Pirelli Speed Demon (or Sport Demon? Can't remember...). It looks like brand-new and actually appears to have zero miles on it. Still smooth and has all the little nubbins. However, on the advice of someone here I took a look at the date code. That was a wise move. It was manufactured in 2002.

According to the manual, the tire sizes for this bike are:

Front: 3.50H19 (90mm)
    Rear: 4.50H17 (120mm)

I've seen plenty of recommendations for Shinko 230s and they will probably be within my budget. Motorcycle-superstore.com carries them at what looks like an affordable price. Only issue is that they don't sell 90 and 120 sizes for 19 and 17 rims respectively. I'd have to go up 10mm on each one. So this is what I'm planning to order:

Front: 100/90V-19 $58
    Rear: 130/90V-17 $72

Are those the right sizes to get for this bike?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by eil; 01-05-2013, 01:51 AM.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Those are correct.

Some think all the L models have a 16" rear, but our '80 850GL has a 17".
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yep, further confirmation that those tires in those sizes will work.

My wife's bike is an '82 850L, so has the 16" rear tire, but everything fits and works well.

An added bonus of going to the 100 front tire is that it gets the speedometer accuracy within a window of believability.
      Before the tire change, an indicated 60 MPH showed as about 54 on the GPS. After the tire change, its about 58 or 59 MPH.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation, guys!
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
        X