'82/'83 GS1100E forks stiff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82/'83 GS1100E forks stiff!

Pardon my ignorance, as I'm new to owning the bike.
    Not completely sure as to whether it's an '82 or '83 because title and literature I have on it are conflicting.

Finally got around to getting some work done on it, and went for a quick test ride sunday.
    Forks are ridiculously stiff... dangerously so.
    It appears the anti-dive system has been negated, as there's as stainless plate covering where it seems to have belonged on the front of the forks.

I'm wondering if a simple fluid change would resolve a problem like this, or should I start to consider an upgrade in forks/brakes from a newer gsxr, or something else.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Stiff as in the damping, or stiff as in the spring rate?
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

the stainless plate needs to have a pass through between the holes otherwise the damping is on maximum all the time.

This is usually done with a relatively thick plate that has a groove milled into it between the two ports.

If you get emulators this will not matter as you will be drilling the dampener rods but it does require disassemble of the forks.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I got the bike about a year ago (and promptly joined here), and am finally getting around to working on it.

Stiff as in dampening. My driveway is kinda long, and has a couple smallish potholes which my other bike eats up, no problem. Hit them with the GS at about 35mph and the front end went bonkers. Felt like a rigid front end.

I'm assuming proper steps had been taken in milling the plate, I haven't taken it off.
        But, I have ridden this bike before (I inherited it from my uncle), and have never noticed this behavior before. The bike has been sitting for I'd say at least 3 years, with minimal use before that.

In this pic, you can (kinda) see the plate on the right, forward for leg.

Comment

Based on that picture, your bike appears to be an '82.

The '83 models had a black engine and different wheels.

Probably some other detail differences, too, but those are quick and easy.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X