Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

35mm cartridge emulators from MikesXS (RaceTech copies), 35mm vs 37mm fork tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35mm cartridge emulators from MikesXS (RaceTech copies), 35mm vs 37mm fork tubes

I haven't really heard many people talking about the 35mm cartridge emulators that MikesXS sells for around $55 a pair vs the $140 or so for the RaceTech's. I think Rich or someone said that he compared them side by side, and the cheaper copies were really hard to distinguish from the RaceTechs, that they looked like they would function pretty much identical. I know that they are a slight bit smaller in diameter than the RaceTechs, and because of that, they cannot be used in 37mm forks like the RT's can (without machining a spacer, that is).

Has anyone installed and ridden these enough to have much of an opinion on them? I am probably going to go for it due to the price. I was leaning away from emulators because I was thinking they would set me back $200, but I guess maybe I wasn't shopping around enough. Now it seems like a must-do with the Sonic Springs and new seals.

Any first hand experience?
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

I have them in my bike and think they worked pretty well when I was riding. Of course, the roads here in Dayton are pretty rough anyway in some areas but the ride still felt good.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have them in my 650, they work well I but can't compare them to the real ones.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Also, I was wondering just how much better my bike would ride if I had gotten some 37mm forks from a GS850/1000 compared to doing these mods to a set of 35mm dual disc forks I picked up, adding a Tarozzi fork brace to the 35mm forks.

The only GS1000 forks they had at the junkyard were leading axle style, & I was of the understanding that leading axle was for more of a relaxed cruiser/touring type ride, so I passed. I'm thinking I'll just stick with the ones I have, but wondering if it would be a massive improvement that I should really consider before buying rebuild and upgrade parts for the 35 mm Forks
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

The 37mm forks are a bit stiffer. You can't really feel it as the bigger forks go on a heavier bike...

The Mikes XS emulators work the same as the Racetech's. Manufacture is slightly difference (The mikes XS ones use a more expensive style, basically making them in reverse which probably gets round a patent but actually leads to a better product in my opinion).

You can use them in the 37mm forks with a brass or Aluminum sleeve spacer (that's what I have). I can probably give you a CAD file for them if you want it....

This is how have them fitted. Works great & because Racetech's are a little generic in sizing to fit a number of different forks the fit of these is actually a little better...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Nice one, Salty! I'm really glad that the GSR forums are so full of creative innovative and resourceful people!

Well that's great information to hear as far as your reviews and opinions of the function and design of Mikes XS emulators. I wasn't sure if I would run emulators or not but after seeing the low cost on those, and reading about how they function on different road surfaces, I am considering them a must-have.
            I am looking to drop approximately 80 lbs weight from my '77 GS750, So hearing someone saying that the 37 mm forks wouldn't be that big of a noticeable difference on a mid weight bike is refreshing. I was hoping that by adding the Tarozzi fork brace on the 35mm forks, that I would end up with a really solid front end that will put my bike into a new realm of handling with the shock and spring upgrades, wider tires and rims, and lighter overall weight.

I did however read one member saying that switching to 37 mm forks made a big difference in the way his bike handled, which had me worried that maybe I made a mistake buying a really nice set of 35 mm duel disk forks.
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

The 37mm forks must be stiffer in the leg by design but how much difference it would make is probably hard to quantify (being that they use the same skinny axles etc) & probably highly subjective....
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

well alrighty then, I will probably just stick with the ones that I already have bought, especially because I can use the mikesxs emulators without any adapters needed. Hopefully once I get my bike down to kick start only and shed the 80 pounds total that I plan to, the smaller forks will perform as good or better than a bigger bike with the 37's.
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

hey salty, if you have that cad file, could you shoot it to me? considering emulators for the es. Figure when i am doing the twinpot mod i might as well do this while i'm there. also, how much did it run you to have the spacers made up, if you don't mind me asking? wondering about cost benefit vs the race tech. thanks!

greg
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

As for the Race Tech or the MikesXS fork emulators, I can say that I have installed them both. The Race Techs went into a CB400F and the MikesXS version went into an XS650. I'd say both worked about the same. Install new fork springs and fork oil and seals and your fork will be a lot better. That said, I don't intend to install fork emulators in my GS850 forks going on a GS750E. I expect with new fork springs and fresh fork oil the GS850 fork will be pretty good, and it already has air caps if I feel I need to use them.

Comment

Working...
                    X