Swingarm pivot bearing spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm pivot bearing spacers?

I just removed the needle bearings from my swingarm. They were in terrible shape, frozen with rust. The bushings (called swingarm bearing pivot spacers on the fiche, part #5) that form the inner races are also worn, with a few slight longitudinal grooves where some of the needles dug into them.

I'm guessing that being so worn, these have to be replaced with new ones, and cannot be merely cleaned up and polished. Is that correct?

Thanks.

My spacers are exactly twice the width of the bearings. Is this true of you set up?
    I got new bearings and just cleaned up my spacers but flipped them so their undamaged halves became the bearing surface.

Comment

Bob,

The left side bushing tales a beating over time

You can see if they wiggle in the bearings (they shouldn't)

They will probably need to be replaced from what you describe
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The parts in the fiche look identical to mine.
        I think you could do the swap left for right and in reversing the tubes have a clean bearing surface. I did it with no problems

Comment

I just bought a set on E-bay for $18. for my 1000, and sourced bearings locally.$34. for everything cheap enough
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks, guys. The damaged area is not limited to one-half of the length, so I'm going to buy new ones. Boulevard Suzuki shows them at $9.53 each. I already bought the needle bearings from Z1 but they didn't have the inner sleeves.

Seems like swingarm removal and repacking these bearings will become part of the annual maintenance schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post

Seems like swing arm removal and repacking these bearings will become part of the annual maintenance schedule.
              Maybe not every year, a lot depends where you are located too and if you use a high pressure washer on your bike. I would service mine every 3-4 years. I still have the stock (even though I won't be using the stock swing arm any longer) spacers and bearings in my swing arm and they show little or no wear. Good cleaning, grease and maintenance is the key.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I suspect that mine hadn't been touched since the bike was manufactured.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                  I suspect that mine hadn't been touched since the bike was manufactured.
                  Probably the most ignored part on a bike it seems like.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    Probably the most ignored part on a bike it seems like.
                    Yea swingarm and steering head bearings most people don't relize they are there till the bike wont turn or stands up in a corner, or some other handling problem. But by the time they cause a problem it is to late generally by then they are junk.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                    X