any alternative to progressive springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any alternative to progressive springs

i have stock rear and front springs on my bike (81 850)...is there any cheaper routes for the rear shocks and or front ones?

For the rear, the ultimate in cheap would be the EMGO or MDI shocks from China. However, I think a hard-tailed frame rides better than they do. IKON shocks cost a bit more, but ride better. Supposedly, they are derived from the old KONI shocks of many years ago.

For the front, a popular choice would be Sonic springs. There is a representative from their company that is a member of this forum, I'm not sure if it's the owner or not. Sonic makes good springs, but they are straight-rate (not progressively-wound), but that's OK, the air that is trapped in the forks is progressive in nature. Sonic springs are available in different ratings, so you should be able to find one that is right for you.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      For the rear, the ultimate in cheap would be the EMGO or MDI shocks from China. However, I think a hard-tailed frame rides better than they do. IKON shocks cost a bit more, but ride better. Supposedly, they are derived from the old KONI shocks of many years ago.

For the front, a popular choice would be Sonic springs. There is a representative from their company that is a member of this forum, I'm not sure if it's the owner or not. Sonic makes good springs, but they are straight-rate (not progressively-wound), but that's OK, the air that is trapped in the forks is progressive in nature. Sonic springs are available in different ratings, so you should be able to find one that is right for you.

very nice...i like to corner to my bikes limit...any suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
        very nice...i like to corner to my bikes limit...any suggestions
        Well...
        If you really like to corner to your bike's limit, don't look at cheaper routes....
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          Well...
          If you really like to corner to your bike's limit, don't look at cheaper routes....

i already drag pegs with stock suspension...im looking for something that may do me a bit better in ride quality and looks

Comment

I'm going to be getting a set of Hagons from here, seems to be the cheapest around.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
              I'm going to be getting a set of Hagons from here, seems to be the cheapest around.
              http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/...IN_SHOCKS.html

Another vote for the Hagons -- Dave sets them up to suit your bike, weight, and riding style, and they're slightly cheaper than the Progressives.

I'd also highly encourage you to take a riding skills class, such as Lee Parks' Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic. Once you learn to get your arse off the seat and corner properly, you'll stop dragging stuff and become MUCH faster. It's worth every penny and then some.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
                http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/...IN_SHOCKS.html
                ...watch out for those UPS "brokers fees", fellow Canuck.
                signed, OnceBitten...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  ...watch out for those UPS "brokers fees", fellow Canuck.
                  signed, OnceBitten...
                  Good point -- Dave Quinn is the US importer for Hagon shocks, which are made in England. I assume there is a Canadian importer up there somewhere.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Not for anything close to that price.
                    Also, I only get things shipped through USPS.
                    I learned the "customs brokerage fee" thing a decade ago when I had some infrared heater rods shipped up from the states. The fee doubled the cost of my purchase!!

Comment

Working...
                    X