rear brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear brake problems

Ok, so I'm still very new to motorcycles so forgive me in advance if these are stupid questions but I can't seem to find the right answers searching in the forums.. Recently I took the rear wheel off of my '78 750E for the first time to have the tire replaced and to change the sprockets and chain. Everything went smooth until it came time to put the wheel back on and the disk wouldn't fit in the caliper. Looked on the forums and came to the conclusion of taking every rear brake part off; caliper, lines, MC, and replacing all that i couldn't just clean up. I put everything back on and it fits better but still no dice. In the pic you can see the brake disk wont fit evenly in the middle of the caliper and the right pad drags. I've checked all the spacers to make sure they were in the right order and I'm pretty sure I'm not missing any. Also the brake pedal has locked up. I've tried tapping out the rod but it just won't budge and I don't want to use too much force in fear of messing up the grooves that hold the pedal in place. These seem like they would be somewhat easy fixes if I could figure out how to resolve the problem and spending $$$ at a shop isn't really an option. Thanks for your time

the only real explanation i can see is that there is a mix up in the spacers somewhere. i know you say you have checked and think they are all correct but i suggest you remove the wheel again and recheck all the spacers are in the correct places.
    if you have a manual then refer to that or if not refer to an on line fiche picture showing which spacers go where.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yup I agree, looks like a misplaced spacer. Surprised you got it on at all. How big was the hammer? lol
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Looks like you have the spacer on the outside of the brake caliper mount and it should be between the wheel and caliper mount, just reversed from what you have.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

check your bike against an online parts fich.

Comment

it appears that you have omitted part #7, the spacer, looking at the fiche picture
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

That one pic really doesn't show anything except the caliper up against the disk.
              Something has got to be out of order, or not mated correctly. I think were talking only about 1/16 to 3/16 of an inch to get it to center up.
              Here's another fiche you can look at.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                Looks like you have the spacer on the outside of the brake caliper mount and it should be between the wheel and caliper mount, just reversed from what you have.
                This!
                The spacer against the swing arm goes in between the wheel and brake stay.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  That one pic really doesn't show anything except the caliper up against the disk.
                  Something has got to be out of order, or not mated correctly. I think were talking only about 1/16 to 3/16 of an inch to get it to center up.
                  Here's another fiche you can look at.
                  http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1977&fveh=2133
                  that is the fiche pic, if #7 is missing then tightening up the rear axle is going to force the caliper onto the disc, locking it up. with that spacer in place the caliper and bracket wont be pushed in so far
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    This!
                    no, if you look on the fiche picture there IS a spacer outer of the caliper bracket., #17.
                    #7 is what is missing
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      This!
                      Bill,
                      If you're talking about that spacer, no. 17 on the fiche, I say I don't think so.
                      Now, these pics are not from a GS750, but my '79 GS1000EN and it shows the spacer on the outside of the brake stay.

sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

I can't help but wonder if it would make any difference if the spacer that goes between the brake stay and what I believe is the bearing, or (No. 7) or whatever part no 4 is turned around.
                        Here's another pic from my GS1000.
                        sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Steve, it wouldnt make a lot of difference, unless it is MISSING!
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            Steve, it wouldnt make a lot of difference, unless it is MISSING!
                            Thats what I'm thinking, just grasping at straws trying to help out.
                            Damn perplexing.
                            sigpic
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                              Thats what I'm thinking, just grasping at straws trying to help out.
                              Damn perplexing.
                              its the spacer between the caliper bracket and the bearing that is missing, it is obvious when you think about it.
                              either that or he HAS missed out the spacer between the 2 bearings and tightening the axle is forcing the right side to far into the wheel, OR, he has the wrong bearings fitted.
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X