No announcement yet.

rear brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for once, i give up.........i have no more ideas...
    if you put the wheel in and tighten everything up WITHOUT the caliper fitted (fit the hanger bracket) does the wheel spin freely as it should?
    only other (highly improbable) idea i can think of is the caliper hanger/bracket is bent, but i doubt it.........

sorry.......
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

there is actually just enough clearance for the wheel to spin freely with everything connected except for the brake pads and rides just fine. i'd like to have those brakes working tho. thanks for all your time on this. if i ever come up with a solution i'll be sure to post... any ideas about how to get that peg out of the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerobi View Post
        any ideas about how to get that peg out of the frame?
        Tap it out using a block of wood.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

there is actually just enough clearance for the wheel to spin freely with everything connected except for the brake pads and rides just fine. i'd like to have those brakes working tho. thanks for all your time on this. if i ever come up with a solution i'll be sure to post... any ideas about how to get that peg out of the frame?
          plenty of wd40 and get the lever on it and keep turning the shaft to work the wd in, keep turning and spraying and it will free up, maybe a final bit of persuasion with a soft mallet to bop it out.
          clean shaft and hole with emery cloth and lube generously with grease before fitting

P.S. are you SURE the pads are in the caliper correctly?
          Last edited by Agemax; 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM. Reason: added a bit
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

awesome, thanks for everybodys help! and yeah unfortunately I'm sure about the pads, it would be nice if it were that easy. I just need to find a way to shift that caliper mount over about 16th of an inch

Comment

slip a washer in there, that should do the trick. i would not be happy personally, knowing that something is not quite right there.
              take care..........
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

It looks like the spacing is perfect until I tighten everything down. The right side chain tension is not keeping tension as well either and I'm not sure if that has something to do with the problem....
                When you adjust the chain tensioners, once you get them aligned equally you need to push the wheel forward with enough force to not allow them to get out of alignment when you tighten the axle bolt (Don't knock the bike off the centerstand though). The axle shouldn't be allowed to move and the adjusting pins should be tight up against the swingarm block.

Going back to your first post that I was reading, before you took it all apart and replaced the sprockets and chain, did everything mate up properly then, i.e. brake caliper?
                So, when you put your new rear sprocket on did you secure the bolts with the nuts to the outside? and if so, are all the nuts tightened down? And how does that assembly fit into the wheel?
                Does it fit in all the way?
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

As suggested a good sized wood dowel will do the trick too. Or just a steel rod and hammer it out. Be sure to wire the pushrod to the master cylinder put of the way.
                  Sand the inside of the frame and the lever pivot assembly real well and apply a good smear of grease in the hole and on the part. Wipe the excess off after you get it back in the frame.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I was at the storage unit and took pics of the axle on my750..granted it is a 77 and may be different from the 78 but heres the ntwo sides of the axle...What I did not see is that thick washer that was in his one picture of the axle assembly out of the rim.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hey, was this resolved? I wonder if you just needed to use a c-clamp to open/spread the pistons back up?

Comment

Working...
                      X