Best Tube for 120/90 17 Roadrider Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Tube for 120/90 17 Roadrider Tire

Yesterday out riding I picked up a nail in my rear tire.
    It's got the smallest amount of air leaking from it, so I'm shopping for
    inner tubes.
    I got a Avon Roadrider 120/90 17 size tire so I'm looking for a tube to match.
    I'd like to get something heavy duty, this is for my '82 GS1100E.
    So far I found the Michelin Air stop to be about the only one that has that size available. Saw on one web-site this was moderate duty.
    Anyone got any better options?

You can see the little trail of dried up bubbles from the soap I used to detect the leak, oh so minor. Checked the tire this morning and no noticeable drop in tire pressure.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

That tire is almost done, but here's an example:

Note that this tube fits several different sizes of 17" tires. AMT has a chart to help you find the right size range in inch sizes: http://www.americanmototire.com/cata....php?cPath=610

I swear, the biggest problem with buying tubes is how incredibly disorganized the tube listings are.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      That tire is almost done, but here's an example:

Note that this tube fits several different sizes of 17" tires. AMT has a chart to help you find the right size range in inch sizes: http://www.americanmototire.com/cata....php?cPath=610

I swear, the biggest problem with buying tubes is how incredibly disorganized the tube listings are.
      Thanks,
      Didn't realize how worn that tire was until I started looking at my other tires. Really, I swear I haven't riden it all that much as compared to my 1000. No burn outs, etc. Weird. But the wear indicators say it all.
      Manufacture date 1609.

I had already been on that site but missed the conversion chart.
      I hate conversion charts. Converting alpha to metric and back and forth, for instance the same 120/90 17 coverts to two different size inch tires depending if it's for the front or rear. One thing I did get out of it on a footnote was tubes denoted as heavy duty, ultra heavy duty, etc. are not recommended for street use. I just want a tube that can easily handle the capabilities of the bike. Had one blow out in the past and don't ever want to repeat that again.
      sigpic
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        I just want a tube that can easily handle the capabilities of the bike.
        The good news there is that the tube only needs to be able to hold air pressure.

It's the TIRE that needs to "handle the capabilites of the bike".

All of the stress and strain happens in the TIRE, not the tube.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The good news there is that the tube only needs to be able to hold air pressure.

It's the TIRE that needs to "handle the capabilites of the bike".

All of the stress and strain happens in the TIRE, not the tube.

I do believe you're correct, however, forever ingrained into my mind is the experience I had on my '72 CB450 at 70 mph with passenger on the back when I had a blow-out on my rear tire. The tire was OK, it was the tube that had the 12 inch long hole in it.
          I also had a flat on my GS1000, it had a new tube, but oversized (shops fault), it too had a gaping hole of a couple of inches. But the tire didn't blow, just went flat while I was riding it. Because of the strength of the sidewalls I was able to ride it a couple of miles to get it repaired. Updates in tire technology!
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

I like the Michelin airstop tubes. Hold pressure much better than any others I've used.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I like the Michelin airstop tubes. Hold pressure much better than any others I've used.
              Thanks,
              Thats what I'm leaning towards.
              In fact that is one of the very few I found that would fit.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                ... I had a blow-out on my rear tire. The tire was OK, it was the tube that had the 12 inch long hole in it.
                I also had a flat on my GS1000, it had a new tube, but oversized (shops fault), it too had a gaping hole of a couple of inches. But the tire didn't blow, just went flat while I was riding it.
                If you have a nail or other sharp object come through the tread of the tire, it can/will also put a hole in the tube. There is very little lateral strength in the tube, so it will try to pop like a balloon. Since it is contained by the tire, it will simply tear into shreds, instead.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If you have a nail or other sharp object come through the tread of the tire, it can/will also put a hole in the tube. There is very little lateral strength in the tube, so it will try to pop like a balloon. Since it is contained by the tire, it will simply tear into shreds, instead.

The blow-outs I had were most likely caused by underinflation, at least the one on the 1000 was, tube leaked and when ridden generated so much heat from the chaffing of the tube inside, well it just couldn't take it. I don't know about CB450.
                  The hole I have now is very small, but deep. I'm think it damaged the tube, to what degree I don't and won't know until I remove it. Right now
                  I'm monitoring the pressure. I'll be coming up north for a week and I'll check it when I get back. If I don't see any noticeable drop in pressure I'll probably continue to ride it. I have already ridden it since pulling the nail out.
                  sigpic
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X