GS750 Steering Stem bearings...size verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Steering Stem bearings...size verification

Just looking for a confirmation for the steering stem bearings for a 78 GS750. I believe the sizes it to be the following:

Upper: 25mm ID x 48MM OD x 16mm
    Lower: 27mm IS x 48MM OD x 14mm

However, I have also seen the upper listed at 13mm and 15mm for the width. I was looking through some old posts and this was brought up by other members as well, but I couldn't find a definite answer. I'm getting bearings for a frontend swap and want to make sure the 16mm is correct.

according to the chart on Basscliffs website the bearings should be Upper: 25 x 48 x 16
    Lower: 27 x 48 x 14 as you say.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If you're planning on doing the swap your best bet is just to make the measurements yourself. There aren't a ton of variations in Suzuki's GS's but you never know for sure until you go to spend your money and put the wrong size part in there. I did a swap on my 750 and it was very simple and straight forward even though it's not a swap I have seen before. I just took the old fork out, made my measurements, called AllBalls bearings up, and they sent out roller bearings with my specified dimensions. They were great to deal with and the fitment on the bearings were perfect. Hope that helps

Comment

How do you measure the bearings? are they tapered? I am new to this. I am looking at swapping a complete front end of a 95gsxr onto my 77 gs750. I am going to need to some help.

Comment

Originally posted by Flipr78 View Post
          How do you measure the bearings? are they tapered? I am new to this. I am looking at swapping a complete front end of a 95gsxr onto my 77 gs750. I am going to need to some help.
          The original bearings are ball bearings. You would replace them with tapered bearings. The outside diameter(second number) and height from top to bottom(last number) will be the same as the correct bearings for your bike if you look up the what size they are(like through All Balls Racing website). The inside diameter(the first number) will be the one that is different. Take some digital calipers and measure the stem that you are trying to use and then you have all of your measurements.

All Balls Racing also has a fork conversion chart for reference which is helpful, but I would recommend measuring for yourself because the chart can be overwhelming, and there are multiple measurements for every year.

Comment

Originally posted by HighCountryGS View Post
            The original bearings are ball bearings. You would replace them with tapered bearings. The outside diameter(second number) and height from top to bottom(last number) will be the same as the correct bearings for your bike if you look up the what size they are(like through All Balls Racing website). The inside diameter(the first number) will be the one that is different. Take some digital calipers and measure the stem that you are trying to use and then you have all of your measurements.

All Balls Racing also has a fork conversion chart for reference which is helpful, but I would recommend measuring for yourself because the chart can be overwhelming, and there are multiple measurements for every year.
            or, you could just use the chart on Basscliffs website and cross reference the bearing you need.

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              or, you could just use the chart on Basscliffs website and cross reference the bearing you need.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._bearings.html
              Yep! or that...

Comment

Working...
              X