Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing tires

Hey everyone,

I am looking at replacing the old/cracked tires on my bike. One of the last things to do. also need to tune the carbs but everything else is working great so far.

the recommended tires for the bike are:
    FRONT - 3.25H19-4PR
    REAR - 3.75H18-4PR

I think this converts to 100/90-19 and 110/90-18 but not really sure and also wondering if anyone has a place with the best pricing? I am in Canada but have a place i can ship in the states then just have some friends bring them up for me next time they visit.

Also anyone in the area (Ottawa-west) have a carbtune they can help me with the tune of the carbs or lend me to do it. I have a few buddies that "have them" but for some reason can't locate them. right now i am using the bench sync. running not bad but far from great.

Thanks

For tires - try here

Order the top brands of Motorcycle Tires, Helmets, Jackets, Pants, Boots, Gloves & Accessories with the lowest prices and fast FedEX shipping in Canada! With tons of inventory ready to ship and live stock access from all the big names like Alpinestars, Scott, Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop, Anlas, Avon, Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Kenda, Metzeler, Shinko and Heidenau.

something like these

Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

100/90 -19 M-CRUISER 777 FRONT
      110/90V 18 F-230 FRONT (for the rear)

would these work for my bike?

Comment

Do a search on shinko tires

Comment

I have just looked at what is on the bike.
          Rear: 120/80 v17
          Front: 3.00 19

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red View Post
            I have just looked at what is on the bike.
            Rear: 120/80 v17
            Front: 3.00 19
            For what it's worth the current rear tire you have is too small according to what is supposed to be on there, so I wouldn't recommend using that as your guide.

That may throw off your gearing if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

If I have it right, your stock tires are as follows

3.25-19 is equal to 100/90/19 for the front

4.50-17 is equal to 110/90/17 for the rear

you can go up one size if you wish so you could do it like this

front - 110/90/19
              rear - 120/90/17

double check to make sure it will actually fit, you don't want them rubbing on the fork tube or the swing arm, or on anything actually.

but it is recommended to stick with the original size most times

hopefully I didn't mess it up or make a mistake in determining your needs, so please double check......

Comment

The sizes that are stated in my owners manual for the 1980 GS550L are:
                FRONT - 3.25H19-4PR
                REAR - 3.75H18-4PR

this is why i am asking the question. how would a 17" tire fit on a wheel that is made for a 18" tire?

Gatekeeper, thanks for Petes looks like the place i need. I am looking at the Shinkos. Just need to figure out the proper size.

Comment

something is not right,,,,,here it shows a 17 rear

not a 18

don't know....

perhaps you have a 1979 model not a 1980 ?

Comment

my Owners book does not determine a difference between years only 77-82 for the GS550. So i think the list you linked to would be a better source for the tire size and would explain why i currently have a 17" tire on there now.

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                      Do a search on shinko tires
                      Check 'em out!

1979 GS1000

Comment

I do plan in getting shinkos. And thanks to Gatkeeper I know the size I need!

Comment

The L models usually had a different rear tire size if I am not mistaken(from the standard model)

1978 GS1000C
                          1979 GS1000E
                          1980 GS1000E
                          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            The L models usually had a different rear tire size if I am not mistaken(from the standard model)
                            True, but most of the Ls were 16". The '80 850L was an exception with a 17".

EDIT: I just looked at the fiche for the 550L and found that it is also a 17".

Last edited by Steve; 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM.
                            sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              True, but most of the Ls were 16". The '80 850L was an exception with a 17".

EDIT: I just looked at the fiche for the 550L and found that it is also a 17".

750Ts are also 17" rear and 19" front.

I buy my tires at Sirius Consolidated Inc.
                              Best prices I could find in Canada, and $13 flat rate shipping anywhere in North America.

Comment

Working...
                              X