Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AVON Speedmaster & SM Mark II -- Look and feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVON Speedmaster & SM Mark II -- Look and feel?

Currently I'm riding alloy wheels with Continental ContiGO tires. They're what came with my bike when I bought it and have been fine for the last couple of seasons.

I'm about to switch over to spoke rims and wanted to give my bike a classic tire tread without having to sacrifice on safety/performance. I'm wondering if anyone rides an AVON Speedmaster MKII front and Safety Mileage MKII rear tire combo?

I've included a screenshot of the tires and price. I would be keen to get the official GS Resources opinion on this matter.

Thanks,

Bluenote

Also affectionately known as the Avon Skidmaster.

Perfectly safe on old BSA Bantams that never go out in the rain and don't go round bends. They're technology from the 1950s - I would pass.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The Avon RoadRiders (AM26) look totally bitchin' on a GS. Plus, they're a thoroughly modern tire in performance.

The RoadRiders are pretty much the most common tire you'll see on vintage and cafe builds that are meant to be ridden. I agree that the Conti Go doesn't look quite as right for some reason.

If the Avon RoadRider doesn't look "right" to you, the Bridgestone BT45 Battlax has a more intricate pattern that might appeal, and is also a modern tire.

If you're just going to park the thing in your living room and look at it, mount up whatever tires you think look right.

If you're going to ride it anywhere (and it sounds like you are), put on tires that actually work.
      Last edited by bwringer; 02-19-2013, 10:23 AM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

One more thought...

Metzeler makes a few models in period-correct or similar treads, such as the ME77, ME88, and the Lasertech.

They're expensive as hell and not nearly as good in grip or wear as the modern tires such as the Avon RoadRider, Pirelli Sport Demon, Bridgestone BT45, Michelin Pilot Activ or the Continental GO! (which you've already experienced).

Personally, I would not trade grip for looks to that degree. Metzelers were great in the '80s and '90s, but they've long been surpassed.
        Last edited by bwringer; 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks!

It's clear that tires with a vintage look also come with the risks of vintage performance.

Thanks for everyone's input!

-Bluenote

Comment

Roadriders and none other….
            Until something better comes along.

Can't see the tires while I'm riding it anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X