Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to lift 1980 GS100G to remove forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lift 1980 GS100G to remove forks?

I have a motorcycle jack but the bike has a Vance and Hines 4-1 header that runs caddy corner across the bottom of the right side of the bike. I just can't see any way to add chocks with the pipes in the way.

Is there any way to do it without removing the pipes?

My motorcycle jack has extensions that reach up and contact the frame rails or frame guards (if you have frame guards).

You might be able to rig up something similar. Some people have also built adapters or frames out of wood.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

A bottle jack or a small scissor jack from most cars will work under the front of the engine, even if it is offset a bit to the side.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Put it on the center stand and put some weight on the seat, or tie the handlebars to the ceiling.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          You might be able to rig up something similar. Some people have also built adapters or frames out of wood.
          I thought about doing that, I just don't see how I can get 4 good solid contact points to allow me to safely jack it up. The pipe runs right along the right side of the frame. It looks like I might be able to catch one point on that side, but even that looks precarious.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Put it on the center stand and put some weight on the seat, or tie the handlebars to the ceiling.
            That would be great if I had a center stand

Thought about buying one but the reason they took it off is because it would obviously stick out too far since there's no pipe on that side now.

Maybe I will buy one and chop down the bar. Some people don't like them but they can come in handy. Especially on a big bike.

Comment

What about using a rear stand for the bike and a bottle jack under the oil filter?
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Will the oil pan stand up to pressure from the jack, or is it going to crumple? I would think you have to have the jack directly on the frame.

Comment

A large A frame ladder and a come along or use a piece of rope.

Comment

Hi,

This is how I did it.

Once the bike is supported there under the triple tree the bottle jack could be removed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Right where Cliff has his jack is where I always put my hydraulic jack, right on the lip of the oil filter cover and as well I usually use a piece of wood. The oil pan should be just fine.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Here's how I did mine this year when tearing mine down

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Seeing how you don't have a center stand it's going to be tough. Here is how I delt with the challenge, but I have a center stand. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...el+lift&page=3

Look at the first post. I want to come up with a rear lift to use when changing the rear wheel. A shaft make this a challenge. I come up with something .

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I think I can rig something based upon all of these ideas. My dad said something about an A frame and a come along but I don't have either one. It isn't the same part but I wonder if the center stand from my GL will fit on the G temporarily. If not I will probably go ahead and pick one up.

Anyone have a spare laying around they would sell me?

Comment

Originally posted by BluePlateSpecial View Post
                              It isn't the same part but I wonder if the center stand from my GL will fit on the G temporarily.
                              Your sig does not show a GL, so what do you have?

To see if the stands will interchange, go to the parts fiche for both bikes and compare the part number for the stands.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X