Fork internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork internals

OK , I don't know if anyone here has the answer or not but thought I would ask.
    I have 1996 , 600 Bandit front fork tubes that I want to use on my [GS1000 Road Kill project] I also have a set on 99 ZX600 fork tubes, which have adjustable rebound and dampening. Both sets are 41mm [ I believe they are a cartridge fork]. The question is will the internals fit in the Bandit forks ?, as they are about 1" longer. The extra length appears to be in the lower leg. Thought was if I can put the cartridge in and use the dampening adjustments, it would be a better setup.
    I have played with most all parts of a bike but have always sent the forks and shocks out for these kinds of mods, figured this would be a good one to get my feet wet. I have done many sets of fork seals on many styles of forks, just never modded any.
    So any help would be great thanks. HJFisk
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

thats a very strange combination and i think you will be lucky to find anyone who has tried that particular set up.
    the only way to find out is to try it, strip both fork legs out, compare them, see how they fit in and see what mods or machining it will need to get them to fit.
    the leg diameter may be the same but the complete internal workings may be completely different
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I know when I sent my SV650 forks out to GMD Computrac in Boston they came back with with adjustable cartridges, but did not have them originally. It also cost me just short of a grand to have the forks worked. That was fine for the race bike but [Road Kill] is suppose to be a low budget build.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I like the idea
        To make it work, I believe that you will need to extend the damper rod to reach the fork cap. That's the easy part.
        Next, I would compare side by side the Kawasaki and the Suzuki cartridges to determine if there would be any mounting issue?
        Finally, compare the fork tube inside diameters for the same purpose.
        I wanted to do the same with GSXR 1100 K components fitted with Bandit 1200 tubes...
        Keep us informed
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Working...
        X