Rear brake pistons not moving as they should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake pistons not moving as they should

Rear brake pistons not moving as they should. I have replaced the pistons and seals, cleaned out all the channels, cleaned up the piston aperture and seal slots with emery cloth, rebuilt. Both the pistons move under pressure, but only a couple of mm. Not enough to grip the disk.
    If I clamp either one of the pistons the opposite one still only moves the same distance, not double?
    I thought there may be a air leak still so I submerged the caliper in water (don't worry it's hooked up to an off bike master cylinder and I will make sure it's totally dry before it goes on the bike), no leaks!
    I replaced the rear master cylinder last year, is don't think it is that. Any ideas?

Air or one or one or both of the pistons are stuck. They should keep coming out of the caliper until they grip the rotor and then return.
    Take off the caliper and pump the brakes and see which piston stops.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

did you use aftermarket or OEM suzuki seals?
      some aftermarket seals have been known to be ever so slightly over sized, not allowing the piston to move with the deformation of the seal when pressure is applied.
      were the pistons a very tight fit to get into the calipers?
      if this is the case you need to remove the seals and gently rub down the outer circumference of the seal with some fine wet and dry.

or, you could go and buy original Suzuki seals.......
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Sean - if you get a chance pop along to the UK Social Group and drop your name in there.

Hoping one day some of us might meet up or go to a show together.

Greetings
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I did use pattern seals, but having had trouble before I did rub them down a bit. Pistons were fairly easy to get in. I will pop them out again and rub them down a bit more. Maybe they were not smooth enough after my first rub down.
          thanks for replies.

Comment

Working...
          X