Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel balance after sprocket/bearing changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel balance after sprocket/bearing changes?

I've got a front end wobble, not always, usually around 30 mph. It's not noticeable unless you're going hands-free, have to hold back on after a few seconds. I didn't have the wobble before my most recent maintenance. The obvious fixes are to not work on my own bike and not go hands free , but I'm in this game to learn and figure it out.

Most recent maintenance:
    • replaced all 3 rear wheel bearings
    • new 530 chain
    • new front and rear sprockets
    • rebuilt rear caliper, new pistons & seals
    • rebuilt rear MC
    • new SS rear brake line

I've read the threads here on front end wobbles. Given the most recent back end changes, I want to rule out the back end before I start messing with the front end. I checked and made an adjustment to the rear wheel alignment, the wobble went from happening at really low speed to about 30mph now. I've used a straight edge for alignment and the tick marks near the axle are the same on each side too.

Should I have gotten the rear wheel balanced again since I changed sprockets and bearings?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM. Reason: crappy original title

Not saying this is your issue, but worth checking:

The tick marks at the rear can be off, spin the wheel by hand & watch the rear sprocket teeth mesh with the chain while looking at it from behind...

Notice the spacing on either side of each sprocket tooth as you turn the wheel, see if it woobles from left to right & if so, correct it by adjusting the rear wheel slightly.

Want to verify the front sprocket is meshing correctly too...

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

live with it
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Maybe you are noticing it now due to the new bearings in the rear.
        Maybe you need to do the front as well
        Its quite cheap and easy to do.

Comment

I'll check the alignment and sprockets again and then move on to replacing the the front bearings.

Comment

the fix

If you're seeing this thread as new, it's not, I'm updating with the fix and had a crappy original title for future searching so I changed it.

My hands-free decel wobble was a loose steering stem, not a wheel balance problem or bad alignment, not sure why it showed up after the new bearings and sprocket work.

I followed this thread to tighthen the steering stem and all good now. Thank you to all who contributed to that thread, I used a little bit from each of you.

Also, thank you Hikermikem on this thread, when I went back and checked the alignment, paying attention to this detail made it very easy to get the chain tracking perfect with the alignment.
            Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            ... Notice the spacing on either side of each sprocket tooth as you turn the wheel.....

Comment

Good to hear that you have it sorted out, but another likely suspect, for those who might be searching and find this thread, is swingarm bearings.

Doesn't sound quite logical, but many times a problem actually shows up at the other end of the bike.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Good to hear that you have it sorted out, but another likely suspect, for those who might be searching and find this thread, is swingarm bearings.

Doesn't sound quite logical, but many times a problem actually shows up at the other end of the bike.

Another sure sign of bad swing arm bearings is , it will make the bike want to stand up in a corner, and cause it to wallow.Also making it feel like a front end problem.
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The swing arm is (besides the steering head bearings) probably the most neglected part of the bike. You serviced your wheel bearings, sprockets, chain and steering, but did you service the swing arm or your steering head bearings, just don't tighten up the stem nut.
                  Last edited by mrbill5491; 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    The swing arm is (besides the steering head bearings) probably the most neglected part of the bike. You serviced your wheel bearings, sprockets, chain and steering, but did you service the swing arm or your steering head bearings, just don't tighten up the stem nut.
                    Yeah, that's the plan, just had to get some closure on the last set of work before figuring out what's next.

Comment

Working...
                    X