Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires for 1982 GS1100GL

Hey folks,

I just picked up a 1982 GS1100GL and i need tires. I think I have narrowed it down to the Bridgestone BT45-v but I wanted to get some suggestions or recommendations from other folks.

Up to this point I have had all newer bikes so tires were easy to get and decide on which ones work best. So this is my first vintage bike so I am looking for some advice.

Thanks all,

Jay

BT45 is an OK tire, but many of us are using Shinko Tour Master 230.

If you mount your own tires, they are about $130 for the pair, shipped to your door.

If you don't mount your own tires, they are still about $130 shipped to your door, but then you will have to find someone to mount them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Tires

Wow really. In the sportbike world Shinkos are like bottom of the barrel type tires. Guess this is a different animal.

Comment

Shinko 230's stick fine, they just wear fast. Avon Roadriders are the forum favorite for people that ride hard and appreciate a little more mileage from their tires. These truths have been proven out in the real world by actual riders.

As for those "sport bike guys", some of them know their $hit, and others don't. The devils in the details. Diesel engine oil is the forum favorite here (for example), but most sport bike guys are aghast by such a suggestion. Go figure.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, although it will depend a bit on your riding style.

If you habitually scrape hardware around every turn and drag race everyone from every light, there are much better choices, but for those of us that don't do that, the Shinkos do quite well.

One of our "more-spirited" riders did an evaluation of the Shinkos on his 850 and pronounced them quite reasonable.
          They grip better than you would expect from a cheap (inexpensive) tire and longevity is not all that bad, either.

If you are into more spirited riding on your vintage machine, Pirelli Sport Demons are good, but don't last long, and Avon Road Riders are used by several here. Both are considerably more "spendy", though.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

tire

Cool thanks. Yes i did use Rotella in my sportbike. Used to do a bunch of track days and such and never had an issue. As a matter a fact a friend of mine just had his ZX6R motor torn down for a refresh and he has been using the Rotella and the internals were near perfect. The bike has only been on the track too very little time below 8K. I will be using Rotella in the GS as well.

I would probably be on the more spirited side of riding so I will check out the other tires and see what the difference is.

Thanks, Jay

Comment

Is there room on the rear for a 150 or will it touch the swing arm? Has anyone tried a 150 and did it negatively effect the handling?

Coming from the sport/track side of riding and as far as mileage goes, if I get more than 1500 miles or one weekend at the track I am doing well for wear.

Comment

Originally posted by JustRide View Post
                Is there room on the rear for a 150 or will it touch the swing arm? Has anyone tried a 150 and did it negatively effect the handling?
                The width of the rear wheel will not properly support a 150, and there is probably not enough room to the swingarm, anyway.

Since you do track days, I would hope that you know that you need proper-sized rims to hold a particular size tire. If you mount a larger tire (say, your 150) on the 1100's rim, you will pinch the tire into a tighter radius than that for which it was designed. This will actually give you a smaller contact patch, which is probably the opposite of what you were looking for.

Just get a good 130/90-16 for the rear and a 100/90-19 for the front, and you will be good to go.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

EDIT: Steve posted while I was typing.

I believe a 150 is too wide for the GS wheel, which is 2.75" wide. Most forum members use a 130, maybe because 140's are hard to locate. A 100 front is the accepted proper size, again based on wheel width.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks. When we used to do track days we would change tire size and compound depending on the track we were going to. No worries just needed some advice. I will stick with the stock size.

Thanks for the advice!

Jay

Comment

Wow! If some of the others were that easy to convince, we would not have much to do on the forum.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I didn't ask for advice to not take it when its given. Finding things out the hard way can be expensive and hurt.

Comment

I just mounted up my second set of Dunlop Elite 3's. Super impressed with the first set. Great handling and mileage out of them.
                          1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
                          2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
                          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Schlosser View Post
                            I just mounted up my second set of Dunlop Elite 3's. Super impressed with the first set. Great handling and mileage out of them.
                            What kind of mileage did you get?

Just wanting to compare with what I got from the E3s on my Wing.

I have contemplated them for my 850, but they are not available in a 17" rear.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Not sure of the exact starting mileage, but near as I can figure, about 11-12k. I still could have kept the front, and the back might have passed again this year, but I found some money in the cookie jar and had a set mounted up a month ago. Figured I'd be all set for the season that way.
                              1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
                              2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
                              2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Working...
                              X