Dunlop D404

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunlop D404

I put these tires on my bike and, I gotta say, they are amazing. The last tires I had were Bridgestones and they felt like banana skins for their entire life. Really bad in the beginning, I thought they would get better. These Dunlops are like riding in the dry compared to what was like riding on gasoline-soaked roads on the Bridgestones. No fear or slippery feeling around town, onramps or twisties.
    No Bridgestones ever again.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

You should try some real tires.

404s are slick as pig snot compared to Sport Demons or RoadRiders.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      You should try some real tires.

404s are slick as pig snot compared to Sport Demons or RoadRiders.
      Yep, even the Shinkos that are popular here are better than D404s.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Compared to the Bridgestones, I meant to put it in that perspective. They are not like the 2CT Michelins on my FZ1 either, but way better than the crap I was running. Fine for the GS, anyway.

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Which Bridgestones are we hatin' on here -- The Spitfires or the BT45? Or did you have something older on that's not even made any more?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Spitfire S11. The S must stand for sh!t. In fairness, I never checked the date code on them, but they were purchased through Competition Accessories so I assumed that was not an issue.
            Last edited by 1980GS1000E; 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Yep, the d404s are pretty good all around tires but I found them to lack a little bit when the speeds pick up. Just don't get too spirited on them.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Which Bridgestones are we hatin' on here -- The Spitfires or the BT45? Or did you have something older on that's not even made any more?
                Just wanted to say that I am very happy with performance of Bridgestone Battlax BT45's I am running now in place of the Metzelers I always used to run.
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                  Spitfire S11. The S must stand for sh!t. In fairness, I never checked the date code on them, but they were purchased through Competition Accessories so I assumed that was not an issue.
                  Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                  Just wanted to say that I am very happy with performance of Bridgestone Battlax BT45's I am running now in place of the Metzelers I always used to run.

Makes sense -- I've always heard the BT45 is a pretty good hunk o' rubber. I haven't tried a set of these myself.

The Spitfire is a much older design, and I wasn't at all happy with the set I tried out a few years back. I thought grip was actually OK at first, but they really turned evil as they wore and didn't last long for me (YMMV -- most people get better mileage than I do).

The D404s actually had better grip but they're quite soft and wore out even more quickly, also developing some nasty bad habits during the last 1,000 miles.

The Shinko 230s mentioned above also wore out pretty quickly for me, but they stuck quite well and didn't change much in feel or grip as they wore. A great budget choice if you don't pile on lots of miles.

My favorite is still the Avon RoadRiders -- great grip, make your bike feel 100 pounds lighter, little to no change in grip or feel as they wear, and at least twice the life of the others mentioned.

If you're doing track days, I think the Pirelli Sport Demons win the ultimate sticky prize by just a hair over the Avons, but they're expensive, soft, and short-lived.

I haven't tried the Conti GO! or Michelin Pilot Activ. They're probably pretty darn good.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                    Do the Battlaxes have anything in common with the radial versions? I've heard really good things about them, but from sportbike guys with new bikes.

Comment

Hey Matt,

My Bridgestone S-11 tires are starting to get a little squirrely. Of course, the back tire has over 10,000 miles (down to the wear bars) and the front tire is almost double that. I go through a rear tire every year and get a new front every other rear.

Up until these tires have 7000 miles on them I can scrape my pegs all day. Granted, I don't do that a lot. Most of my riding is commuting, errands, every day street stuff.

What I appreciate about these tires is the "bang for your buck" value. Nope, they are not cutting edge design or material but they are cheap and plenty good enough for my purposes.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy a nice set of Road Riders or Sport Demons. I just don't want to spend that much to get fewer miles. To each his own. I'm sorry you did not thoroughly enjoy them.

For all of you riders who don't scrape your pegs every day, don't be afraid to give them a try, especially if you don't have a large tire budget. Check the date code. If they're really fresh (less than a year old when you buy them) then you'll get good use out of them. I would not buy any motorcycle tire that is over two years old. But I'm lucky in that I can see my tires before I buy them from the local bike shop.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I had the 404s on my 550 and swapped to the Shinko tour masters last year. In my uneducated opinion the dunlops are worse and sticking to the road in the curves.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Not to spoil the conversation but any new tire will feel better than skinned ones you have been tolerating for who knows how long. Honestly I think we think we can tell the difference from one tire to the next but I beg to differ. Old freaking rubber is old freaking rubber and new freaking rubber is new freaking rubber. Tires threads are all over the internet and everyone thinks there particular brand of choice is better. The reality of it is only professional riders can really push a tire to the limit and know the difference. On the street we are amateurs and really dont have a clue from one tire to the next.
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I like my 404s ands as Joe said...we arent a bunch or Barry Sheens running around.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I swore off Bridgestones in '83 when the brand new tire on my brand new 750 developed a quarter sized seperation in the tread. And neither they or Suzuki would cover it under warranty.
                              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
                              X