Probably a really dumb question about shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a really dumb question about shocks

I have a gs450l with eye to eye shocks. I'm looking at a set of eye to clevis replacements. Is there anything special I would have to do to mount this kind of shock?

Thanks!!

If the bike uses eye to eye shocks why do you want eye to clevis? Unless you're swapping swing arms they won't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
      If the bike uses eye to eye shocks why do you want eye to clevis? Unless you're swapping swing arms they won't fit.
      I can get a nice looking used pair to replace my worn out shocks but the lower attachment is a clevis design.

Comment

You can see if a welder would be willing to cut off the clevis and weld on an eye mount. There isn't a safe way to do it by making an adapter...

It would be cheaper to buy the correct ones though, it doesn't need to cost a lot. Even the cheap Emgo shocks Dime City Cycles (and all over eBay) are better than worn out 30yr old shocks.

Comment

It will be smarter and easier in the long run to buy the correct ones.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
            You can see if a welder would be willing to cut off the clevis and weld on an eye mount. There isn't a safe way to do it by making an adapter...

It would be cheaper to buy the correct ones though, it doesn't need to cost a lot. Even the cheap Emgo shocks Dime City Cycles (and all over eBay) are better than worn out 30yr old shocks.

Welding on a pressurized shock body containing oil would be a bad idea. A very bad idea.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X