GS750 bent shock mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 bent shock mount

Okay guys, i believe this is whats causing my lean over when i let go of the bars, now do i just straighten it or replace it? Its making my wrist sore holding it straight.

heat, and lots of it i would say. aim the heat directly at the bent area and keep the heat on it while bending it until it straightens out
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

would it make the alloy brittle at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
        would it make the alloy brittle at all?
        quite possible. googling it reveals the swing arm should be sent for proper heat treatment after the bending to bring it back to its natural strength. not sure how much this would cost or where you would take it to have this treatment done
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am not sure if that is your problem or not but I can say that my 83 GS 750E has never tracked straight without your hands on the bars since it was new in 83. I have always figured it had something to do with the 16" front wheel and frame geometry. My bike has never been real comfortable on straight flat roads[ highway's], always felt darty, but give it a twisty road and it was like it was on rails. Some thing else I have noticed with this bike since new was that it has always worn the right side off the front tire , before the left.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
          X