Rear Ride Height: A pet peeve fixed for about $10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm smiling!!
    Before moving to Colorado I hung with a guy named Mike Worshum...he could make anything and it's sounds like you're in the same boat. Thanks, looking forward to it...and make a few extra, sounds like we have some interest in a little rear ride height...

All...I kinda described the "thinning" of the rear-brake acuator...the inside portion with the backing plate. If you don't narrow it, the swingarm hits it at full extension, at least on the '80 S models with the rearsets. Actually, this grinding job illustrates the uppermost limits of my metal-working abilities!! I'll try and post a pic soon.

Thanks again Norm....NI

Comment

I've seen this style used before - because the orientation is offset, the shock can't fold over on the extension;

Comment

Hmm...that's a neat piece. Really looking forward to Norm's solution too.

One thing I looked at was "removing" the bottom clevis from the shock body, but I think I would need to cut it off and was unsure what problems that would create, and then how do I re-attach a longer clevis?

Fun to mess with, thanks for the pic. I'm going to get pics of the grinding I did to the rear-brake actuator, and also some ride-height pieces I made and installed on another bike of mine...NI

Comment

Yes... you are trusting a 6mm bolt with all of the forces (or that skinny bit of plate..)

Not for me....

Get some longer shocks & keep the old ones for prosperity. Hagons look virtually identical to stock anyway.

Also don't forget that any change in the height back there has an effect on steering stability.... (use works shocks that are about 0.5" over & that works fine..)
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Good to hear opinions, thanks.

Comment

Nick,

Another less expensive option is Ikon shocks. They may not be as good as Ohlins but they are very nice. They build them to your weight and riding style and can make them longer if you like. I have a set of 1 inch longer Ikons on my '83 1100E and I love them. The added rear ride height quickens the steering a bit and still leaves enough centerstand clearance for maintenance tasks.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe, I didn't know Ikon would build custom heights, good info.

But...a solution to my pet peeve is in the mail from Norm...!! I should get a chance to mess with them this weekend and will post up a photo and some details. I love that my bike will look stock, but with a bit of stance...

Norm's solution will actually involve engineering and load-path issues and...well...all the details that I simply skip right over!!

Comment

Oh my Lord!!!

Landed today, got home, opened the mail box to find a neat little package from Norm....tore open the package and you guys won't believe how cool the pieces look!
                  Do they fit?
                  Good question...had to go in the house and have dinner, be sociable, drink Vodka...but tomorrow I'll get out the wrenches and camera.
                  Be prepared for some factory-cool work...awesome job Norm...if they don't fit, they're going into the china cabinet for display!!
                  Oh..uh...yes, they look better than my solution...Thanks for the exquisite work Norm...NI

Comment

Waiting with bated breath to read about a successful install of these coveted parts!
                    IBA# 12860
                    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                    1984 KZ1100R
                    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                    2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Nick, I really like the use of the word "imagineer" (mind if I steal it?)

I find myself being one of those that imagines a really great product but simply cannot make it materialize from coat hangers and duct tape.

Post dem pics!

Then perhaps we can get started on a universal handlebar mount that can securely hold everything from a can of beverage to an Ipod and all things in between, GPS, Go-Pros, Phones, Jammers, whathaveya...

Comment

You won't believe it!!

Fellers...what Norm (Storm 64) made exceeded my expectations...it literally took me 10 minutes to install his pieces, they fit like factory parts. Norm, great job....there was absolutely no problem...how often does that happen?

I snapped some photos and will try to load them...so far I've only been able to load one "thumbnail" pic at a time...will experiment...or post a few posts.

There's a little note I added on one because I suspect these ride height pieces might become popular and nobody should suspect I made them. I clean parts, I don't make parts!!

Yes, you can use "imagineer" any time and any place. Please send $5 each useage. (Not.) But seriously, seems like Storm 64 can make anything we can imagine...out of stainless!

Fun stuff, thanks again Storm 64. It's the little tweaks that make something "just right" and getting a little rear ride height really works for me.

Finally...what a terrific Forum experience. For someone I've never met to make pieces from scratch to satisfy a pet peeve...makes me happy and proud to be on GSR. NI

Comment

Another pic

Another pic of Storm 64's work...installed. Yeah...it's good.

Comment

View with Storm 64's Pieces

Side shot with the shock extensions in place. Have tried to put two photos in a post but have failed due to my significant retardation.

Comment

Thinning of Rear Brake Thingamabob

Basically ground down the rear-brake actuator and a tiny bit of the mount so the swingarm could drop a bit lower...then touched it up with a bit of black paint. That, fellow members, is the abolute limit of my fabrication skills.

Oh, did I mention that Storm 64 cut 10mm fine metric threads, exactly like the stock shock? Yeah, he did.

It's a one-inch rise for the rear, so the tire doesn't touch the ground on the centerstand. Poifect.

Comment

How the bike looked stock

Here's a before shot...keep in mind that I've lowered the front until the air caps almost touch the handlebar.

This doesn't look bad...but what is "not bad"? Not good!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X