Attn custom builders: Suspension/seat pan clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attn custom builders: Suspension/seat pan clearance

So I haven't backed myself into any corners yet with my custom seat construction, but I'm putting some feelers out there to see if there are any tricks as far as keeping your back wheel from hitting the bottom of the seat pan....

My thoughts so far...

Bumpers on the shocks restricting travel after stiffening shocks to the max.

Hammering out the seat pan up onto where the wheel would hit.

Anyone out there used other methods successfully? This seat won't be cafe style, so hollowing out up into the fiberglass isn't in the cards. The seat pan will sit across the frame all the way back.

Thanks y'all,

Nate

How about finding some slightly longer shocks or making some shock extenders.
    It is being discussed here:http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=206032
    Limiting the travel on the ones you have now would make for an uncomfortable and potentially dangerous ride.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If you are going to stiffen the shocks to the max and install bumpers, why not just hard-tail it and guarantee that the wheel will never hit the bottom of the seat?

Seriously, though, it's not all about comfort, there is a safety issue here. The wheel needs to be able to move to respond to irregularities in the road and keep the tires in contact with the road. By stiffening the shocks "to the max" and adding bumpers, you will have trouble convincing the rear wheel to stay in contact with the road. And when it is compressed to the point of hitting the bumpers, your suspension rate will change drastically, making for some rather unpredictable handling.

Add in the fact that you are obviously changing the padding on the seat (probably removing most of it), your ride will be VERY uncomfortable, which will limit your time on the bike.
      In a way, that is a safety feature, because it will limit the time you are exposed to such dangerous handling.

Any chance you have considered installing NEW shocks? Using shocks that have proper damping and spring rates should be your first step to limiting wheel travel, and it will be done in a very predictable manner.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll start reading through the other thread and seeing what I find.

What brand of shocks/springs comes recommended by most?

I decided to shape my seat pan in such a way that beneath the tire there will be another inch above the top of the frame as well. That should buy quite a bit of space or atleast make any rub...less abrasive.

Thanks again,

Comment

If you want stiff shocks, the cheap MDI or EMGO shocks are available on eBay for about $100.

For much better shocks, Hagon has a good reputation. Look up Dave Quinn Motorcycles, he is the distributor. I think they are around $200.

For a bit more, Progressive shocks also have a good reputation, and are about $300.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, you're one of very many helpful people I've found on here. What a resource! Thanks again...

Comment

Are you familiar with a brand, RFY? They're on ebay when entering simply, "motorcycle shocks." Are they garbage? Sure are inexpensive...

Comment

Call Dave Quinn....Highly recommend. He puts them together after you call him and answer a few questions, for 200 bucks who can beat that?

Comment

This website is for sale! davequinnmotorcycles.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, davequinnmotorcycles.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                  X