Brake caliper strip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake caliper strip?

my Gs1085S is fitted with a set of Gsx1100et brake calipers.... question is what lubrication to use when putting the pistons back in ,do I use brake fluid or Red rubber grease.......

smear them with brake fluid. dont over do it so there is less risk of it dripping over the paint. smear the pistons slightly but rub loads around the seals in the calipers themselves
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Brake fluid only - nothing else. I use a small artist's paintbrush to liberally paint the inside of the caliper pot and the seal with fluid and then just put a thin smear on the piston - just enough to wet it.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Caliper strip

I was told to use Brake fluid by a Suzuki trained mecanic ,and I like to here other peoples ideas before i do anything after the last 2 summers of not riding Gs....
        so when will spring begin over here in UK......
        thanks for the replies guys......

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
          so when will spring begin over here in UK......
          Last week.

Only somebody forgot to tell the weather. It's cold enough and wet enough down here in the balmy south east. You'll be copping the full blast coming in from the Russian Steppes up in Norfolk.

Sod the financial problems in Cyprus - at least it's warm.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Last week.

Only somebody forgot to tell the weather. It's cold enough and wet enough down here in the balmy south east. You'll be copping the full blast coming in from the Russian Steppes up in Norfolk.

Sod the financial problems in Cyprus - at least it's warm.
            Its dry here but with a easterly 20mph wind it feels like -8 or some thing at the prescent time ,have another chilly ride to work on me Xf650x which is a great bike to ride 25miles a day on,but it keep me on the rails till Gs1085s comes out to play.....

Comment

UK Social Group

gshub - if you get an chance pop along here and put yourself into the UK Social Group: UK Social Group

the idea being that we might even get a chance to meet one another at some stage or at least advertise good meets and rides.

We also have a UK GS Owners Facebook page for local chit-chat.

Greetings

P.S. Thanks for posting the Brake Strip info - I am just about to start on that little job. Just need to free up those bleed nips. Might even have to get the drill out (only kidding T).
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                gshub - if you get an chance pop along here and put yourself into the UK Social Group: UK Social Group

the idea being that we might even get a chance to meet one another at some stage or at least advertise good meets and rides.

We also have a UK GS Owners Facebook page for local chit-chat.

Greetings

P.S. Thanks for posting the Brake Strip info - I am just about to start on that little job. Just need to free up those bleed nips. Might even have to get the drill out (only kidding T).
                Think im sorted must arrange a summer meet up?.....

Comment

Well stripped out calipers and as i thought rubber piston covers have got split and been
                  sucked in,new seals and covers on the way......
                  all parts cleaned stainless pistons were fitted 10yrs ago look all nice.....

Comment

Well me seals arrived popped new seal in caliper piston, but how on earth do you get the
                    caliper boot on, Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh get 3/4 of it in then it pops out........

Comment

put it on the piston before you put the piston in the caliper. then slide the piston in the caliper and seat the boot at the same time
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.....
                        got to admit i bought non genuine suzuki parts and thats why they dont fit, and I bet they wont give me my money back if I send tham back...........
                        when will i ever learn...

Comment

gshub I have a load of K & L carbs parts for sale:

Are you interested? )
                          Richard
                          sigpic
                          GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                          GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                          Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                          Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
                            Thanks for all the replies.....
                            got to admit i bought non genuine suzuki parts and thats why they dont fit, and I bet they wont give me my money back if I send tham back...........
                            when will i ever learn...
                            All sorted now got Genuine parts and they fitted no problem caliper back together just need to bleed system,and Gs will be on the road again end of the month....

Comment

Working...
                            X