Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all GS forks have the recessed hex head in the damper rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do all GS forks have the recessed hex head in the damper rods?

My damper rod bolts are stuck fast! How can I stop the rod spinning in place? On my last GS it had a hex head recess in the damper rod which made things simple - make tool, insert, undo. This one does not, as far as I can tell(?), have the same setup and I can't prevent the rod from spinning!
    Any ideas?
    TIA
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM.

Bump
    thread went off bottom of page with no replies
    I have searched in vain but cannot find a definitive answer.
    Do all 1100 fork damper rods have hex head recess to enable removal?

Comment

If they are the same as my 1983 GS1100G which I dismantled this afternoon, then the damper rods will have a recessed hex head. I found that I could use a couple of extensions from my socket set with a 19mm or 3/4 inch square socket on the end. It doesn't (in my limited experience) require much force to undo. Might require a bit more to do up.

If you haven't got the appropriate socket you could try the wooden broom handle trick. You might need to shave the broom handle down to about 20mm and put a chamfer on it say down to 15mm in the last 20mm of the handle. This should grab it.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
        If they are the same as my 1983 GS1100G which I dismantled this afternoon, then the damper rods will have a recessed hex head. I found that I could use a couple of extensions from my socket set with a 19mm or 3/4 inch square socket on the end. It doesn't (in my limited experience) require much force to undo. Might require a bit more to do up.

If you haven't got the appropriate socket you could try the wooden broom handle trick. You might need to shave the broom handle down to about 20mm and put a chamfer on it say down to 15mm in the last 20mm of the handle. This should grab it.

Greetings
        Thanks for the info I'll try that

Comment

All of those work but another option is to leave your fork together (damper rod, spring, and cap tightened) and use an impact driver or a drill with a hex head socket attachment to loosen it. The tightened cap will provide enough resistance to hold it in place while the drill breaks it free.

At least it worked for mine.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Mine did not have the hex head. I used a wooden dowel with the end tapered, and gently tapped it with a hammer (broom-stick method). It worked fine, but if the bolt it stubborn, I suppose it might be a bit more challenging.

Comment

A good impact wrench is the way to go. Usually breaks the bolt free toot swuite.

Comment

...and by wrench I mean gun....

Comment

Some don't have the hex and you have to use a broomstick.... Impact (even an electric one) will do it in combination with that...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

OK, thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have task ahead of me then, I have used the broom stick method + impact driver butt no joy yet. I think I need more heat!

Comment

Last resort on these is to drill the head off the allen bolt. If you end up doing that the forks come to bits easily and there is plenty of thread left to grab with pliers; the remaining part of the bolt is never tight and will unscrew easily.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The GK damper rod has a hex (actually, a 12 point recess), but it's bigger than the 19mm found on other models -- the GK has 41mm forks.

I don't remember exactly what size this is... I found some nuts at the hardware store that fit 1/2" threaded rod but were larger than the usual 3/4".
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If it's the same as the late 80's GSXR 41mm forks I found something in the plumbing section I could cut & mount on a threaded rod.... Can send a picture if necessary.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            The GK damper rod has a hex (actually, a 12 point recess), but it's bigger than the 19mm found on other models -- the GK has 41mm forks.

I don't remember exactly what size this is... I found some nuts at the hardware store that fit 1/2" threaded rod but were larger than the usual 3/4".
                            Oh, that sounds promising! Thanks! Maybe I'll succeed yet
                            I'll buy a selection of bolts then and see if I can get a good fit in the recess. Last time on the 1000 I simply got a bolt and two nuts, locked the nuts together on the bolt thread, eh voila, instant 'stop rod spinning removal tool'.
                            When I've found the correct size bolt I'll post here for reference

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            If it's the same as the late 80's GSXR 41mm forks I found something in the plumbing section I could cut & mount on a threaded rod.... Can send a picture if necessary.
                            Thanks, pics would be sweet and are always helpful
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X