New MC - Need to bleed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New MC - Need to bleed

I just picked up a used front Master Cylinder for my 1983 GS1100ED. So I took off the grungy, leaking old one, and replaced it with the "new" one. So I thought I could do a gravity bleed at the banjo bolt, in order to ascertain the condition of the new MC, to be followed by a fluid flush at a later date.

Problem is that no fluid is going through. When I did my Ducati Clutch master/slave, I was able to do a gravity bleed.

Why can't I do the same on my GS1100?

Thanks so much for reading.

Use a mighty vac if available and ever so slightly wiggle the lever. Wiggling will let little air bubbls escape out them fluid return hole.

Some auto parts places with tool rentals will have the brake bleeders.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you're pumping and no fluid is moving out of the reservoir and into the line, the MC needs to be primed first. See this: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A04

In theory, you should be able to bleed the system just by pumping the brake lever and manipulating the bleeder screw as necessary. In reality, this sometimes doesn't get all of the air out and you need a source of vacuum to draw the fluid through the system faster than it can be moved by pumping the lever.

Chuck mentioned the mighty vac but if you're cheap like I am, you may be able to get the job done with a $1 large medical syringe: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=205846
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

The BEST bleeder I have used is one I bought at Harbor Freight Tools. It requires an air compressor but it really sucks any air and fluid fast.It's about $30 and functions exactly like the $150 one we used at the shop.

Comment

Lets say you put on new master and the lever had no tension at all. Does that mean i put it together wrong?

Comment

I did reverse bleeding on another motorcycle and was very happy with the results. There is a good video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skaKvS_qH_0
            Not sure if works on all MCs.

Comment

You gotta prime it first.

Sometimes the process is also called "bench bleeding".
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X