Aftermarket mono shock for 1984 Suzuki GS 550 ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket mono shock for 1984 Suzuki GS 550 ES

Hello everyone. Getting back into riding after many years away. Restoring my 1984 Suzuki GS 550 ES to use. (Its old, like me). Have had some challenges finding parts for it, but have been able to get pretty much what I have needed, with the exception of the rear shock-bike has Suzuki "full floater" rear setup.

Anyone know of a reasonably priced replacement for the stock shock?

Thanks for you help!

TGen1

I sincerely doubt such a new shock exists.
    May I ask your reason for wanting a replacement. Is it damaged or worn out?

Few aftermarket parts were made for these bikes. Aside from a K&N filter and Syno jet kit the only other is an exhaust.

Some 550 e members have used and alternate spring shock assembly. I think it is a unit from Katana that eats up a bit of clearance on the bottom side.

Ill try and do a search for you you will receive a welcome soon.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing if there is anything available.

With the shock and spring being nearly 30 years old, I figured it would be a good time to replace them while I have the bike apart. The bike has less than 10K original miles, but has been wrapped up and stored for ~ 10 years now. I don't know if there is anything "wrong" with the shock/spring assembly, but I have monies budgeted to get the bike back on the road, so I might as well take care of it now. I did find a new monoshock assembly from Hagon(?) but it is a bit expensive.

Again, thanks from a newbie!
      Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2013, 01:08 AM. Reason: corrected mispelling, add info

Comment

I have an 85 550ef and i just replaced the shock.
        I used a `95 cbr600fi shock assembly, almost bolt in but i purchased one with two eyes instead if the clevis. I just chopped off the clevis from the old shock and welded it on to the new cbr unit.
        Looking at shocks it seems a cbr1000 from '06 onwards should work seeing as the bikes are almost the same weight and should almost bolt straight on. But it may lower it slightly.

Comment

Working...
        X