Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear caliper leak

1982 GS850GL

Ok folks. Had a leak in the rear caliper. The interior/wheel side was leaking. Put new pistons and seals in the entire caliper. Bled it. No leak. Let it sit overnight. Stepped on the brake this morning. Leaking again.

Suggestions. What would you do at this point?

sure its not leaking from the banjo fitting? when you replaced the seals did you clean out the grooves in the caliper where the seal sits in? did you replace the seal in between the two caliper halves?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Banjo fitting is good. I did clean the grooves but thinking that I may need to go back and do that again. The more I think about it, the more I think that may be the issue. There was some build up in them. How would you clean them?

I did replace the seal in between the two halves.

Thanks AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
        Banjo fitting is good. I did clean the grooves but thinking that I may need to go back and do that again. The more I think about it, the more I think that may be the issue. There was some build up in them. How would you clean them?

I did replace the seal in between the two halves.

Thanks AM.
        the grooves have to be SPOTLESS. use a small screwdriver, toothpick anything small enough to get in the groove and scrape any crud and oxidization off. wipe it round with solvent cleaner after and soak the seals in brake fluid before refitting.
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

. I did clean the grooves but thinking that I may need to go back and do that again. ... How would you clean them?
          Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          use a small screwdriver, toothpick anything small enough to get in the groove and scrape any crud and oxidization off. wipe it round with solvent cleaner after and soak the seals in brake fluid before refitting.
          I use a wire wheel in my Dremel. Quick, easy, relatively painless, especially if you remember your safety glasses.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            the grooves have to be SPOTLESS. use a small screwdriver, toothpick anything small enough to get in the groove and scrape any crud and oxidization off. wipe it round with solvent cleaner after and soak the seals in brake fluid before refitting.
            Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I use a wire wheel in my Dremel. Quick, easy, relatively painless, especially if you remember your safety glasses.

Well then this is my problem. I would not have called them spotless. I did use a screwdriver, but after thinking on it a little more today decided to take the dremel and wire wheel to it this afternoon.

I did coat them in brake fluid, but did not soak them in brake fluid.

We learn something everyday. I'll take user error any day over bad parts. Just so I don't have to purchase a new caliper!

Comment

Done. And so far, no leaks.

Thanks for the assistance gentlemen.

Comment

Done. And so far, no leaks.

Thanks for the assistance gentlemen.
                glad to hear it. another happy GSer
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                X