77 Needs new forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 Needs new forks

I have searched the forum a fair bit, but can't get a straight enough answer.

I'm searching EBay and all other searchable sites for a set of forks for my beat up old bike I'm trying to resurrect. Hard to come across a 'perfect' set...year and all.

What else would fit on a '77 gs750 without much (or really anything) in the way of modifying. Basically, I want to take the old ones off, attach the new ones, and away I go.

Thanks in advance for your help.

HH

CHeck out this page. It has fork tube diameters. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...uki_Specs.html

I would guess that you have 35mm forks and that 450,550 , 650, 750 forks will work.
    Last edited by Charlie G; 04-02-2013, 12:00 AM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

550 forks are shorter 850/1000 are 37mm and longer. 650 ??? I would look for 80-82 750 forks complete with triple and Change the bearings to fit the 77 frame

Comment

Thanks for the hints... So, other than finding the exact right fit (77 forks), I'm going to have to do something or other to make another set fit? Sorry for asking what are likely stupid questions, but my skill set in this is extremely limited.

Comment

77, 78, and 79 750 forks will all fit. The advantage of going with 78 or 79 is you can upgrade to dual disk brakes.

Comment

Just in case you haden't considered this: Unless your forks are rusted badly or bent, they can be rebuilt. The 750 forks from the early 80's are leading axle forks. I wouldn't mix and match with them.

The reason I'm aware of this is that I have a friend who has a 79 GS750. Someone replaced the forks on his bike with 1980-82 style, leading axle, dual disc forks. I've read here that unless you change the triple tee the steering geometry will be odd. I personally wouldn't want leading axle forks.

I have an extra set of 650 forks which I have been considering offering him. The diameter is right but I'm unsure of the length. My 650g forks are 30 3/4" long from the center of the axle to the top of the fork.

If you don't have dual disc now, you may run into needing another wheel, calipers, and disc. Some wheels (wire wheels) may be set up to accept another disc.

I'm no expert, but these are some of the things I've observed in the last couple of months. If you don't know what leading axle forks are, take a look in the gallery at some of the photos of various years of 750's. Note where the axle is located. On the bottom of the fork or on the front side of the fork. Good luck.

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Pm sent. I have 2 spare sets of 77 GS750 forks...

Comment

Working...
              X