Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1150 tire suggestions (Regarding 16" on front)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 tire suggestions (Regarding 16" on front)

All,

I have done some searching on the forum and found that a lot of you really favor Avon AM26's. My 1150 has a 16" rim on the front. Avon has no specific 'front' 16" on the front, but it does have a universal 16". My current front is a 110/90, and the Avon universal is a 120/80. Could I get some advice as far as a better 16" front tire for an 1150? I'm thinking a 120/80 could be a drastic change in handling.

Thanks!

Originally posted by zachdexter View Post
    All,

I have done some searching on the forum and found that a lot of you really favor Avon AM26's. My 1150 has a 16" rim on the front. Avon has no specific 'front' 16" on the front, but it does have a universal 16". My current front is a 110/90, and the Avon universal is a 120/80. Could I get some advice as far as a better 16" front tire for an 1150? I'm thinking a 120/80 could be a drastic change in handling.

Thanks!
    You're doing something wrong. They make a front specific 110/90 16

They have them at Revzilla...

Comment

Do some math to figure out the difference in circumference:
      110=width in mm
      90=the percentage of the width that makes up the height from the ground to the rim. 110x.90=height

Outside Diameter will be 16(inside diameter of tire) + 2x height
      Circumference is pi(3.14) x diameter

There are also tire size calculators that will compare different sizes

You want to keep the circumference as close as possible or your speedometer will be off.
      I think it's best to stay with stock sizes. Wider affects your contact patch and not always in a good way. Wider and lower is usually good for cars but not always good for bikes.

Comment

Found the problem! The 110/90 16 isn't carried by a supplier in the area. Both cycle shops that I called couldn't find a reference to their tire. One of them finally said their supplier may not carry the whole product line. I guess that's the case for both shops. So, it becomes a matter of who I can order them from around here, or getting them shipped. Thanks!

Comment

One left at Dennis Kirk... better grab it quick!

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Alright, here's the conclusion.

I called 5 motorsports shops and struck out with 5 motorsports shops. None are carrying the tire. One nice parts receptionist wanted to know why. She did an hour of research and called me back. As far as she could tell, suppliers are no longer stocking the AM26- or at least my 110/90-16 size. She gave me a link to American Motorcycle Tire (americanmototire.com) that one of the mechanics use. It ended up being about $10 cheaper for the two tires than dennis kirk (about $10 after shipping and fees). All the websites are showing clearance on this AM26 size- so I am glad I nabbed some this afternoon.

Cableguy- thank you for the theory and application lesson. I did not consider a speedo offset with sidewall changes. I'll be at stock sizes though, so that's a plus.

Thanks all! I hope no one else runs into this!

Comment

110/90 16 and 120/80 16 are both stock sizes. avon, michelin, bridgestone and metzler still make both those sizes and they are avalible on this planet.(earth)
              consider posting your planet of origin and / or residence
              I like the avon and metzler, on the 1150
              the bridgestone and michelin? not so much
              Last edited by derwood; 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM.
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I am an Earthling- natively.

I am near Poughkeepsie NY.

Comment

Working...
                X