Rear disk for a gs250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear disk for a gs250?

I know that I have a long way to go before I consider anything of this sort, but, its late at night I cant work on the bike until morning and got curious. would this be an option that could be fitted? Or would it overpower the front brake to much? I mostly would like it for aesthetic reasons over ultimate performance.

You'd just need to find a suitable rear wheel with a disc setup that you could adapt... axle diameter will tell you most of it but the tricky bit will be getting spacers right so it still aligns correctly with the front sprocket.

As for overpowering the front disc, well that depends on what you get... a rear disc from the same era should in theory be ok, although any disc is typically an upgrade from a drum so it will likely be stronger regardless.

For me, I've never thought about it... happy with the disc front/drum rear on my 450 and so far haven't needed anything more.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You'll also need to look at the torque arm fitting. Suzuki discs typically fit above the line of the swinging arm, and drums below. Then you need to mount a master cylinder, and connect to pedal and caliper.

And, as Pete said, all that will affect axle diameter and spacing.

Overall, I'd be inclined to stay with the drum. A well-maintained drum is still a good brake.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Hmmm after reading through what trouble it would be from you guys, I guess I am inclined to not try this one after all haha. Thanks for the great info everyone

Comment

Working...
        X