Changing GS650GL Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing GS650GL Shocks

What's up GS community? This is my first time posting, and if it's a bit of an amateurish question, I apologize.

I just recently bought a 1982 Suzuki GS650GL, and I need some input on the suspension. I'm trying to decide if I should get longer rear shocks for my bike to raise it a bit. However, due to it being a shaft-drive, there is that lingering concern where it might damage my bike because the drive shaft will be reset at a slightly different angle. GS650GL's have 12.5in shocks, but a normal GS650G has 13.5in shocks. Don't these two bikes share the same structural frame, with minor tank/seat differences, since they're just sub-models? Doesn't that mean 13.5in shocks will work on my bike? Thanks!

At a guess I would say you're right....

There might be slightly more stress at the extreme of the shock extension but I shouldn't think it will be at the limits... Try it & see
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. hoburger,

Raising the back end will quicken up the steering. I believe the stock shock length for your bike is 325mm (about 12.75 inches). So installing 330mm or 335mm (about 13 - 13.2 inches) would be my recommendation. Any more than that might be too weird and twitchy.

Now let me hit you with the "mega-welcome". Reading all the information in all the links will save you lots of time and money, cure baldness, make you taller, cure insomnia, and turn you into a chick magnet. Seriously.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My 81 gs650L has 13.25 inch rear shocks- unknown if they were stock or later added. Forks are at the top in triple tree- no signs of "twitchy", but most of my riding has been done on dirt bikes, so I'm use to knobby tires - I'm still getting acquainted with street bikes.
        Last edited by tom203; 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM. Reason: info
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well, I can't say for sure what the stock size was, but my son's '82 650L has shocks that are 12.75" from eye center to eye center.

I think they are more than .25" longer than stock, though, as they bike REALLY leans when it's on the side stand.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X