changed front tube. now front end bouces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changed front tube. now front end bouces

Had a slow leaking tube on my 1100e front tire. Changed tube rebalanced wheel...upon test ride front tire is bouncy and seems out of round.
    I let all the air out and pinched tire in to see if tube was all settled in.
    Looked fine. Aired it back up, test ride....still bouncy and out of round feeling.
    I am running brand new shinko 230's on 83' tri spoke mags.
    I put 500+ miles on it with total smoothness before the tube change.

Any thoughts?

Just curious, ... does it happen at any particular speed?

I took my Wing to a shop a couple of years ago (I did not have the time to work on it) to have the steering head bearings changed and to mount a front tire in the process. Ever since then it feels like it has a square wheel, but only between 28 and 32 mph.

I haven't been home long enough at any one time to work on that, I might get a chance to check it out this summer.

Look around the edge of the rim for the ridge that shows whether it is properly seated. The tire might be stuck, pulling it into an out-of-round profile. It will still balance fine, but will ride funny.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I will look her over and test ride it at various speeds.
      Right when you think you got it......

Comment

take the tube out and blow it up on its own,(compressed air, not C4!)
        it may be a deformed or bubbled tube that escaped quality control
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Well I left the tire on....inflated it to about 50 psi and took a half mile ride to the end of the road. It still was out of round. I was irritated so I went in for an hour to eat.
          Came out and set the right psi to take it 3 miles into town as I had to get to the post office.
          Problem disappeared. Huh.
          Must have " crept" onto bead? Who knows. All seems well. No hop or out of round feeling whatever.
          Going to doublecheck balance just because.

Thanks for the input though.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            Well I left the tire on....inflated it to about 50 psi and took a half mile ride to the end of the road. It still was out of round. I was irritated so I went in for an hour to eat.
            Came out and set the right psi to take it 3 miles into town as I had to get to the post office.
            Problem disappeared. Huh.
            Must have " crept" onto bead? Who knows. All seems well. No hop or out of round feeling whatever.
            Going to doublecheck balance just because.

Thanks for the input though.
            that doesn't sound so silly, watch any car tyres fitted to rims and they get massively over inflated to guarantee a good seat on the rim, then the pressure is reduced to the correct reading. probably the same even with a tube fitted.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I recently installed a new front tire and tube. My first time doing such a thing. Shinko 230's just like yours.

After the tire was on and aired up, I noticed the bead line dipped below the rim in one spot and it was kind of a pain to fix. My theory was that there were air bubbles trapped between the inner tube and tire in certain spots. I under-inflated it a bit, sprayed some water-soap mix all around the bead and pressed the sidewall in with a tire iron to "burp" it. Inflated it up to 40psi (42psi is the max for this tire), and that seemed to fix it.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                I recently installed a new front tire and tube. My first time doing such a thing. Shinko 230's just like yours.

After the tire was on and aired up, I noticed the bead line dipped below the rim in one spot and it was kind of a pain to fix. My theory was that there were air bubbles trapped between the inner tube and tire in certain spots. I under-inflated it a bit, sprayed some water-soap mix all around the bead and pressed the sidewall in with a tire iron to "burp" it. Inflated it up to 40psi (42psi is the max for this tire), and that seemed to fix it.
                I think in hindsight a bit more spray/ lube would have helped my situation.
                Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                X