gs750 suspension conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 suspension conversion

What is the easiest way to put 17" rims and tires on a 78 gs750? USD forks would be nice but are not too important, though I would like to have radial brakes if possible.

The easiest way is to have someone else do it!

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
      The easiest way is to have someone else do it!
      Lol, also, how do I fix the forum? the threads are showing posts the wrong way around. Ie: newest at the top.

Comment

Go to the User CP and Edit Options. Also set your posts to 40 so you get more per page - less page turning
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks. Any idea on the suspension?

Comment

The easiest, is to use GSXR 1100 K ( 1989) triples with Bandit 1200 fork tubes.
            The wheels come from the same GSXR model in order to get a 4.5" rear wheel.
            Here's an example on my 1100 Kat with extended GSXR 1100 fork legs later replaced with Bandit fork legs:

New lock stops required...

Seen from the back
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

What swingarm though? Same 89 GSXR? What tire does that let you run, 160?

Can I just use an entire bandit front end? Or an entire 89 gsxr front end? Keep in mind this is for a 78 gs750 and not a katana.

Comment

On the Kat, I have the std aluminum swingarm that is dimensionally identical to the steel one on the GS 1000.
                You need the complete rear wheel assy from the GSXR including the caliper.
                The tire is 160 wide.
                You will also need an offset engine sprocket to get the 530 chain lined-up...
                A new support is needed for the brake stay but I can send you pictures if needed.
                As far as the differences between the GS 750 and GS 1000, I believe there are minor but you can check if the triple's bearings are identical on the allbearings site
                For the front end, I believe the Bandit lower triple tree's stem is too long for the GS's?
                I haven't tried personally.
                Beware when you mix and match Bandit 1200 ( 1st gen) and GSXR K front wheels as the disk offsets are different
                sigpicJohn Kat
                My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Probably more work than you planned but here is my conversion. 95 GSXR 1100 front end, 98 Bandit 1200 rear.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    Probably more work than you planned but here is my conversion. 95 GSXR 1100 front end, 98 Bandit 1200 rear.

That is absolutely gorgeous, pretty much exactly what I wanted really. How much work was needed for that front end? I also heard the gs1100 swingarm is a straight swap.

Anyone got an idea of what rim setup would go into that for a 160/170/180 tire? Any of the 3 is fine.

Comment

Without question the most difficult part was getting the gauges monted and lined up properly. The front end is a direct bolt up..but that is just the beginning..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                        Without question the most difficult part was getting the gauges monted and lined up properly. The front end is a direct bolt up..but that is just the beginning..
                        I was going to change the gauges for a koso or vapor unit anyways. What do you mean that is just the beginning?

Will the same front end you have on yours mount to my 78?

Comment

Originally posted by silverbullet132 View Post
                          I was going to change the gauges for a koso or vapor unit anyways. What do you mean that is just the beginning?

Will the same front end you have on yours mount to my 78?
                          There are many decisions to make along the way according to what your individual objectives and taste are. Start making a list including all the details of brake lines and cables, handle bars, brakes , master cylinders gauges....etc
                          In many cases the decisions are interrelated as well.

By the way I run an 170/60-18 on my 4.5x18" wheel in a Dunlop Roadsmart,

I don't like the way the Road Pilots fit the same rim in same size (stick to 160 if you do Road pilots)

If you go 17x5.5 on the read expect more issues with chain clearance and a longer offset on the counter sprocket. It is doable and has been done many times before just expect to get into more details of chain width and rear axle spacer combinations.

For a 750 you are probably just as well off with the 4.5" rear tire.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            There are many decisions to make along the way according to what your individual objectives and taste are. Start making a list including all the details of brake lines and cables, handle bars, brakes , master cylinders gauges....etc
                            In many cases the decisions are interrelated as well.

By the way I run an 170/60-18 on my 4.5x18" wheel in a Dunlop Roadsmart,

I don't like the way the Road Pilots fit the same rim in same size (stick to 160 if you do Road pilots)

If you go 17x5.5 on the read expect more issues with chain clearance and a longer offset on the counter sprocket. It is doable and has been done many times before just expect to get into more details of chain width and rear axle spacer combinations.

For a 750 you are probably just as well off with the 4.5" rear tire.
                            I am fine with a 4.5" tire, but would like to keep it at 17". Is it just the 95 gsxr 1100 front end that fits or can any gsxr 1100 usd front end fit?

Comment

Originally posted by silverbullet132 View Post
                              I am fine with a 4.5" tire, but would like to keep it at 17". Is it just the 95 gsxr 1100 front end that fits or can any gsxr 1100 usd front end fit?
                              The answers to the front end GSXR USD can be found here:http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_suspension.html
                              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X