Understanding Progressive shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding Progressive shocks

I have an '82 GS450 and need new rear shocks. The symptoms are that the current shocks work - ok - but when I go 2up (with my 12 year old) they don't hold the total weight at all.

I'm looking for a shock that will hold 1up (me + luggage rack= 250#) AND be able to do well when I go 2up with the second person weighing about 150#. (about 350# total)

How do I figure out which shock to purchase?

I'm assuming a progressive spring shock is what's needed, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks!!!

any decent shocks with good adjustment range would help, i would guess the range available for a GS450 will be quite limited.

but i may be wrong...........
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Don't think shocks would be too hard to find. You just need some 13" eye-to-eye. Progressive brand shocks are popular, they call for the 12-1202B and either 03-1394 or 03-1367 springs (the latter being the "heavy duty" springs). Probably be about $200 for a set. They would be pre-load adjustable. Hagons are also a popular choice; if you call Dave Quinn Motorcycles and tell them about your bike and loading requirements they ought to be able to set up what you need.

Sorry, forgot to post the link to the Progressive product selection for your bike

Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I'd check out Hagon

They offer a progressive type spring with even their most basic twin shocks, + preload adjustment, which you will need if you are adding 100lbs with a second rider. They offer a shock setup specific to your 450, but they also do variations in spring stiffness and damping for various customer needs.

you are looking at about $200 + +

Comment

I have been happy with these:

http://www.yssusa.com/suzuki.php
          Last edited by gsgeezer; 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
          1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
          X