Stripped shock mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped shock mount

One of shock mounts on my GS1000 HC is stripped and I though I'd share my solution.

I had this old scrapper frame that has been under the tree for a few years.
    The the good shock mounts were hacked off the frame

Chopped off the rough bits and cleaned up

They are different lengths

Spun it down to 12mm, shortend it by 5mm, and cut an M12 thread onto it.

All that remains now is to cut the old one off the bike, center drill it 10.5 but stop short of going all the way through by 4mm and tap it again to M12 and Loctite it in.(When I get the bike back to my place I will do that part of it)
    It will be a strong and virtualy invisable fix.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

I had done this for my HC (Skunk) but the one on my S stripped so I did the job on that instead. Here is what I did.

First I hacksawed the old stud off...

Then using my old Dad's old centre finder...um... found the centre...

Centre popped it...

Centre drilled it.....

Pilot drilled it 5mm.....

Measured it and drilled to depth so that I didn't go right through....

Opened the hole out to 10mm tapping size.....

The hole

Tapped it out 12mm....

Tapped...

Last edited by tatu; 10-18-2013, 05:54 PM.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I didn't have a plug tap so made do with a starter and second....

Tapped hole.

Finished with an original replaced shock mount, I'm happy with it because it is invisible as a repair.

The old and the replaced one.

Last edited by tatu; 10-18-2013, 05:53 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Hecuka good job, there, mate!

I'm suffering a bit of lathe envy from that bit of work.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Stud

Nice, a well done job. You might consider making the pieces available as a repair kit for others with that problem.
          1980 GS1000E

Comment

Thanks, it was a satisfying job, I know that some people go about it in a different way, I did it this way because I wanted it to look as undisturbed as possible. I have to do exactly the same on the HC when I get it back to my place.
            sigpic

Comment

Great job! I always have a hard time centering the hole and then not having it drift off center when I attempt something like this.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                Great job! I always have a hard time centering the hole and then not having it drift off center when I attempt something like this.

cg
                Yes Charlie, its a pain in fact this one drifted a smidge too, the centre finder is a great help and though not perfect takes a lot of guess work out of the centre punch location. If I'd'v taken a bit more time over it perhaps it would've been spot on. As it was the job only took about a half an hour from sawing the sub off.
                sigpic

Comment

There's no chance that you have the dimensions of the stud you ended up with eh? I've got to do the same repair but will likely need to start with round barstock.

Thanks!

Comment

Very impressive.

If I didn't know how to weld and didn't want to spend any money or amount of time... I would have done just the opposite, use a threader to make the threads one size smaller, (probably do both sides so they match) then get cap nuts to fit it.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

That is one repair I'm going to have to make at some time. As for now, when it first stripped out, I was able to rethread it the stud to a smaller size nut. So far so good, though it is going to strip again. This would make a great addition to BassCliff's website along with some other ways of doing it as well.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                      X