Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a tutorial for rebuilding/replacing a rear master cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a tutorial for rebuilding/replacing a rear master cylinder?

The other day, my rear brake abruptly went out. We're talking pedal to the metal dead in only a minute or two.

I got off the bike and couldn't find any leaking brake fluid, and the reservoir is still full. I bled the lines once I got home and replaced all of the brake fluid with no improvement.

I'm assuming that I'll need to replace, or at least rebuild the master cylinder... but I don't know how. Is there a step-by-step guide available? I have gathered from searching GSR that it's not a terribly complicated repair job, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

I've used the tutorials on Basscliff's site for all of my other projects and I'm pretty much indebted to them. Is there a step by step guide on rebuilding a MC? I'm also considering just buying a new MC, but I'm not sure how to install it and fill the brake lines. I haven't done any brake work yet beyond bleeding.

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Chicago, IL

Try this
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

A quick skim of BassCliff's site doesn't reveal a tutorial for a master cylinder rebuild, although my tired eyes might be missing it. (The one mentioned by Kiwi Canuck appears to be for calipers.)

Anyway, the master cylinder is pretty simple. I would just remove yours from the bike, take it apart, and see if you can find anything obviously wrong. There are two seals inside, one or both may have gone bad. Do try to keep the order of the part straight, because they must go back inside the cylinder in the right order. The only time you need to replace the master cylinder itself is if the bore inside is scratched.

If you need new MC parts, go to the OEM vendor parts diagram and look for an item called "piston and cup set". This will have everything you need to rebuild the MC.

As long as you have everything disconnected, I would also open up the rear caliper and inspect/clean it as well.

And finally, if you don't have stainless steel lines, now would be a great time to add them.

When you re-connect the brake line, always use brand-new crush washers.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
      X