Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000G front tire recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G front tire recommendations?

This is a budget build so I need something low priced. Saw this on ebay, this tire seems to have good reviews but I wanted to make sure the stock rim uses a tubeless tire before pulling the trigger:

Open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Can't be sure on an '80 without checking it. Check the wheel for a phrase indicating something like "tubeless tire applicable". It'll be in the dark gray painted area near where the balancing weights go. Some wheels were converted by machining them to accept a tubeless valve stem, but they don't have the bead lock ridge near the edge of the wheel. Only a problem if you lose all pressure, but you'd be in trouble anyway.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I don't think the '80 front rims are rated "tubeless", but that's not a problem, just get a tube and install it.

Now, about that tire, ... you can do MUCH better, budget or not.

Shinko Tour Master 230 from Motorcyclesuperstore.com. $57.99 in the proper size.
      A rear tire is $75.99, free shipping if you get both of them.

From personal experience, I would not even put Kenda Challengers on the bike to roll it onto a trailer to get it home.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I don't think the '80 front rims are rated "tubeless", but that's not a problem, just get a tube and install it.

Now, about that tire, ... you can do MUCH better, budget or not.

Shinko Tour Master 230 from Motorcyclesuperstore.com. $57.99 in the proper size.
        A rear tire is $75.99, free shipping if you get both of them.

From personal experience, I would not even put Kenda Challengers on the bike to roll it onto a trailer to get it home.

The back rim says it's for a tubeless tire but I looked at the front rim again and it says "N 19xMT1.85 DOT", no mention of tube or tubeless. The tire that's on the front says "tubeless on tubed type rim fit tube"

So I can use the tires you mentioned, I just need to add a tube?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes you'll want to add a tube.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ok, so I will go with the Shinko tire....any suggestions on what and where to buy as far as the tube goes?

Comment

get the tube from the same place as the tires if your getting them from Motorcycle Superstore...

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                get the tube from the same place as the tires if your getting them from Motorcycle Superstore...

Ok, any particular model? I don't think I have bought an inner tube since I had a 10 speed back in the 1980's

Comment

I've got Shinko's on my 80 1000G and so far they're great, bought them from motorcycle superstore. I've only put 400km on them so don't have much of a review, but have rode them in rain and had good grip. Have hit the corners at 9000 and they handled well.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Excellent.

Going to try to order everything today. Any suggestions on the brand or model of tube?

Comment

I've always let the shop pick em'
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Might be a non-issue at this point. I just looked at the rim on the parts bike and it's tubeless, plus it doesn't have any rattle can overspray on it so I think I'm just going to switch rims. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

I just ordered the tires Steve mentioned, order them from Motorcycle superstore, free shipping and arrived 2 days after I ordered them! terrylee

Comment

Just received my tire and have one word of caution.....if you are going to buy from these guys order directly off their website. I ordered through them on Amazon since I was already going to order some pods, and Motorcycle Superstore hit me with sales tax on their part of the sale. It looks like they don't charge tax when you order from their site directly.

Emailed them to ask why, so we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                            X