sport bike front end swap, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sport bike front end swap, possible?

was thinking of swapping my old and bent front end on my 81 650g for a newer sport bike front end. would like to put new tripple tree and fork brace forks calipers and front axle. would like to keep orig wheel. i cant really find any specs for length and diameter of sport bike head tubes. has anyone done this. swap is just an idea right now, as i just got the bike to run last night. theres alot to do before considering this but figured i would get a head start. thanks.

Search the forums, this swap has been done many times over. If my memory serves me correctly you'll be looking for a 93-95 GSXR front end. I used a 95 model on my 81 GS750e and it was nearly a direct replacement. Good luck

It's an older picture and this bike has gone through a few changes, but you can get an idea of what it looks like with a USD front end. It does lower the front of the bike and unless you mount handle bar clamps to the triple tree, the riding position can be uncomfortable. I believe there is a Honda upper triple tree that can be used to help with the bar height issues. Others here have done it, I did not since the bike was built for Sat. night cruising around town.

Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

that looks pretty damn slick. did you use all of the handle bar controls of the gsxr? what about the clutch and throttle cables.

Comment

I used all the controls minus the choke and throttle cables. I had to wire in the switches to the GS harness but it's pretty easy to do with a wiring diagram and ohm meter. That bike has flat slide carbs and uses a push/pull cable setup and the choke is manipulated at the carbs. The clutch cable is from another Suzuki bike, (1980 GN450) I think, it had the proper ends and was a few inches shorter than stock. I want to say the Honda triple clamp you want to use is from a CBR 954, that will give you room to mount the clip-on bars higher. Or, you can drill the GSXR triple clamp and mount risers and clamps for your bars to maintain the upright seating position.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

What are you using for shocks on that build?

Comment

Working...
          X