Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoke Wheels: Conversion or Custom?

Hi all,

I'm really interested in getting some spoke wheels for my 81 GS 750L. I've searched and looked through a lot of pages about spoke wheels but haven't really found an exact answer. So my questions are:

A. What would be the best route for me to fit some Spoke wheels onto my bike? I've seen some 1100's and some Katana's with spokes but I'm not sure about fitment with brakes/ect.

B. Is there another option? I've seen some that you can buy rims and spokes separately and make create custom spoke wheels. But what about the hubs/axles? Does anyone know of a best route for this?

C. Or would you say that this is something that requires a lot of work/money(not worth it)?

any info is appreciated!

The original GS 750 had spoked wheels and they will fit the GS 1000 and GS 1100.
    I'm not 100% sure for the GS 750 L but it should work OK.
    You will have to use the later disks BTW.
    Here's one side by side with the front wheel of my GS 1000 ST
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

The L rear wheels had a different wheel hub, so make sure if you get spoke wheels that those come with it. You'll need the axle spacers from a spoked 750 too, the spacers are different. I know the non L models have an extra one that fits between the caliper mount and the swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
        The original GS 750 had spoked wheels
        You will have to use the later disks BTW.
        So i'd have to use the disks from the spoke wheels?

I know the non L models have an extra one that fits between the caliper mount and the swingarm.
        Extra as in spare?

There is a soke set from a GS750 for sale on this site, so these would work if I use the hubs, disks, and spacers that (hopefully) come with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Weeksz View Post
          So i'd have to use the disks from the spoke wheels?
          No, you use the disks that go with your calipers
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

So I finally got the front mounted. No problems. didn't need any new spacers (for the front) or any other parts other than the spoke wheel from the 77'. Fits perfect.

Next is the rear..

Comment

Working...
            X