1983 550L Fork q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 550L Fork q's

I'm wanting to put a bigger front wheel on an 1983 550L, and get rid of the clip on bars.

Is there any easy solution for this without swapping out the entire forks? I've searched a lot and found that there *might* be a honda (a cbr 954 I believe) top tree that fits and has a clamp-style mount. But nothing definitive.

I have also searched a lot and not been able to figure out if there's any wheel that readily swaps out with the goofy little 16" stocker. I'd like to swap the same looking cast wheel from an '85, but have no idea if the axle size/lengths are the same, and have no newer bike to measure from.

I have recently been trying the same thing as you and have purchased many parts on ebay trying to get it right.

You can get the triple tree from an 85 gs550l that doesn't use clip ons. I did this and have renthal ultra low bars on there.

I haven't been able to figure out the larger front wheel. I wanted the larger wheel and dual disc brakes. I tried a large alloy wheel with the stock fork but the star "spoke" part hit the caliper so that didn't work. I tried some other combinations of forks and wheels and calipers but in the end I just wound up sticking with the stock wheel. I thought that with the floating rear it would look better with the small front wheel anyway.... maybe, maybe not but it saved some hassle.

Now if i could just find pods for those dual carbs.

edit: I also put the triple tree and forks from an 82 gs550m on and it fit just fine but it wasn't working with the wheel I wanted to use. I think it had to do with the brakes lining up with the calipers or sometihing.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Some of the latter bikes of this generation of 550 L used a 17 inch wheel from the factory so look for a wheel and fork combo. Should be plug and play.

Comment

Working...
      X