Orientation of front axle spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orientation of front axle spacers?

Looking at the fiche for my front wheel, it shows the right side (facing the bike) axle spacer having the flange oriented inward towards the speedo gear box, but the left side spacer flange is facing outward. Anyone know if this correct? Just seems funny to me . . .

Both should have any flange pointing towards the wheel. I think you might be seeing the spacer between the wheel bearings inside the wheel, it has a large flange too. The spacer on the right side (seating on the bike) is the largest spacer and flange fit against the wheel bearing. The spacer on the speedo side goes between fork and speedo gear with small flange facing inward. terrylee

Comment

You should also get used to calling "left" and "right" by their proper names.

Any direction on the bike, left, right, up, down, front, back, should be referenced as if you are sitting on the bike, ready to ride.

The speedo drive is on the LEFT side of the wheel. It is usually the only spacer on the LEFT side.
      The spacer that goes on the right side usually has a flange of some sort that fits over the bearing area of the wheel.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

According to the fiche http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1980&fveh=2142 there are 2 different hub spacers (#3, and #7) as well as 2 identical axle spacers (#8). As I'm sitting on the bike - thanks Steve - the fiche shows the left axle spacer w/ the flange facing inward, and the right axle spacer flange facing outward. Is this incorrect, or should both flanges face inward?? Thanks for the help!

Comment

it does appear to show it that way on the fiche but it is INCORRECT. the flanges should face towards the wheel
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
            According to the fiche http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1980&fveh=2142 there are 2 different hub spacers (#3, and #7) as well as 2 identical axle spacers (#8). As I'm sitting on the bike - thanks Steve - the fiche shows the left axle spacer w/ the flange facing inward, and the right axle spacer flange facing outward. Is this incorrect, or should both flanges face inward?? Thanks for the help!
            The fiche shows the right axle spacer oriented incorrectly...

It is shown the exact same way for my '81 1100E, and just yesterday I once again was confused as to how that spacer should be installed.

I put the front wheel on BOTH ways, & measured the distance from the rotors to OD of the forks - the dimension on the right side was shorter (by the thickness of the spacer flange) when that spacer faces the way shown in the fiche.

Of course next tire change I'll be looking at that fiche & thinking the same thing again...
            Last edited by hikermikem; 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I'll check an 850 I have after work today. Eric says the parts fiche is correct and until I look and see differently, I'll agree. It is possible to make a mistake in a mechanical drawing, but usually they are caught and revised. There is already a right hand spacer with a flange to ride next to the bearing, part #7. It looks as this is the axle nut and washer side and it uses the flange as a seat for the washer part #9. I have all the bikes in question and will check.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                I'll check an 850 I have after work today. Eric says the parts fiche is correct and until I look and see differently, I'll agree. It is possible to make a mistake in a mechanical drawing, but usually they are caught and revised. There is already a right hand spacer with a flange to ride next to the bearing, part #7. It looks as this is the axle nut and washer side and it uses the flange as a seat for the washer part #9. I have all the bikes in question and will check.
                you dont need to check. we know the fiche is wrong. the flange faces towards the wheel, both sides.
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  you dont need to check. we know the fiche is wrong. the flange faces towards the wheel, both sides.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                    Hikermikem - I'm sure that'll be me too next time my front wheel comes off . . . Doh!!

Comment

Working...
                    X