Rear shock preload adjustment help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock preload adjustment help

How do you all adjust the lower shock preload setting.. .....
    Without the special hook tool?
    I dont have one and my 650 is set on "8 year old boy ".....the softest preload. I need it maxed out on stiffness.
    Any methods you use with no tool? I got out the giant vice grips.....um, nope, not gonna leave teeth marks in my shocks. I thought better....for once

not sure if a strap wrench will grip it well enough?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      not sure if a strap wrench will grip it well enough?
      Im equipt with most tools here....have not tried anything yet. Im just sitting on my porch enjoying the sun for now. Lol
      I thought of a spring compressor( which i dont actually have)......then it could easily be turned with a strap wrench or almost by hand.
      Thinking.....thinking......

Comment

with a spring compressor even the 8 year old would be able to turn it by hand, lol.
        with the bike on the mainstand or the back wheel off the ground, so no weight on the spring you should be able to tap the adjuster round with an aluminium drift, without marking it
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Crikey, this ain't hard...

Pad the jaws of a large pair of Channel-Lock pliers with a rag. I have a thick piece of leather I use for stuff like this. A couple of layers of old innertube also work.

Some stock shocks have a little round fitting on the collar that is the perfect size for the shaft of the tool kit screwdriver.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Right on guys.....I think the padding route will work.
            These 650 shocks are pretty wimpy too.
            Ill go see what i come up with.
            Thx!

Comment

No prob. Done.
              Channel locks and padding.
              The first notch was the hardest because of probably never really being moved before and road grit/ light rust. After that the adjustment collar moved easily.....
              Thanks!
              A quick bounce on the seat shows these are still lightweight shocks. But much better nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
              X